Fix your mortgage rate now or miss big savings?

Sadmak

From todays Irish Independent.

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Arial]Fix your mortgage rate now or miss big savings[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]

Bill Tyson
Personal Finance Editor
BORROWERS can save more than €1,300 a year by grabbing a final chance to fix their home loans at the low rates still offered by a handful of banks.
Economists described the move as a 'no brainer' and mortgage advisers have been pleading with clients to avail of some fixed offers which will be withdrawn as early as tomorrow.
Most lenders have already sharply increased fixed rates by around 0.5pc after the European Central Bank clearly signalled that the cost of money is going up.
But NIB, AIB, Bank of Ireland, ICS and First Active have yet to move and still offer three-year rates at around the same cost as some variable deals.
"This is a no-brainer. It is a very rare window of opportunity," said Jim Power, economist with the Friends First investment company."
Asked if he would fix his own mortgage, Mr Power replied: "I already have."
New hikes
Mr Power warned the window "will soon close" and this was borne out by one major bank which signalled yesterday that a new round of fixed rate hikes would be announced tomorrow.
Others will soon follow. Mr Power predicted general rate rises of 0.75pc by the end of next year after which further hikes could be on the way depending on the performance of the European economy.
An increase of 0.75pc would shove the average variable rate up to around 4.2pc - or 0.7pc above the lowest fixed rates currently on offer.
That means borrowers who fix now could save €113.40 per month on a €150,000 homeloan or €1,360.80 a year by the end of 2006 - with further savings likely.
Pleading
Michael Dowling, president of the Independent Mortgage Advisers Federation, said he has been "pleading" with clients to avail of the low fixed-rate deals.
"I'm surprised they haven't gone up already . . . But there isn't much time. Today or tomorrow is the time to do it," he said.
He advised borrowers with the five banks in question to e-mail or fax in a request to fix their mortgage and insist on a receipt in writing.
"Some lenders might be sticky (about honouring the rates currently offered) if borrowers haven't signed forms in time," he said. "But if you have it writing, they will have no option."
However, new borrowers and those who want to switch from another lender will almost certainly miss out as they don't have enough time to set up a mortgage before the remaining low fixed rates are likely to go up.
Economist Alan McQuaid of Bloxham Stockbrokers predicts a rate rise of 0.5pc in the next year.
"Fixed rates are good value at 3.5pc, but I wouldn't rush in to take the ones that have already gone up," he said"

This has certainly got me thinking what would fellow AAMer's advise?

[/FONT]

Banks want you to make these 'big, big savings now...while they're hot hot hot!!!'. They make more money this way.

Personally I'll be sticking with a tracker mortgage.

No real balance to the article is there? No warning about the restrictions implicit in fixed rate mortages, or the fact that tracker and variable rates my go up 0.25% and then not move again for some time.

In my own case, rates would have to increase by at least 0.5% in order for a fixed rate to save me any money, and even then because of the nature of my mortgage, I'm not sure if I would qualify for the more attractive fixed rates on offer.

Hmm, any chance members of the Irish Mortgage Federation might get a little bit of commission if their customers switch mortgages?....

Just to add a point of note to this. We are currently taking out a large mortgage with ICS and wanted in light of at least some rate rises, to fix for 3yrs at 3.49% which is only .6% over the tracker variable and for peace of mind would be worth it to us right now. However, even though our mortgage is agreed and about to be signed off and loan offer issued, we are not allowed to take the fixed rate currently available and can only get whatever rate is applicable ON THE DAY OF DRAWDOWN which, for us won't be until January.
Anyway, point is it doesn't matter what the rate offered to me now is (even though it'll be written down!) because the rate charged will be whatever applies in 2mths time (at point of drawdown)- a point not really made clear in the article quoted.

Lads

You are very hard on my friend, Bill.

This is a news item which achieved the following:
It got Sadmak thinking:
This has certainly got me thinking what would fellow AAMer's advise?
It reported that some banks have already upped their fixed rates, which I did not know, so I learnt something.
It reported that at least one economist has fixed his mortgage, which is interesting.
It also reported that other banks are about to up their rate and if you are thinking of doing so, it gave good advice to email them and get an acknowledgement in writing.

I would probably point out or quote someone who thinks it's not a good idea to fix, but overall I would give the article 9 out of 10.

Brendan

The omission of any balance in terms of the many reasons why it might be a bad idea to fix surely has to mean that the article should be marked down.

5/10 from me and I'm being generous there because Bill is your mate.

i read this article this morning. tbh, got me a little worried.

i bought a gaf with a mate in april.

we've a 3.1% tracker.

i rang our branch this afternoon, and they said their fixed rates will be going up after tomorrow.

this, plus the fact that all the rest have put up their rates, plus the fact that i've heard rates are expected to go up, from this article, and other reports i've heard, has made me think about fixing for 3 years.

until i read this thread, now i'm not sure at all!

i worked out, the extra .39% will mean an extra €60 a month, maybe it is better to stick with the ol tracker......

sticking with the variable rate seems to be more popular....

hard to know what to do

Historically people who stick with variables (or better still trackers) have came off the best.

I reckon the only time you should fix is if there is an expectation of a major hike or when you are young and a 1 or 2% hike would put you under serious pressure.

Plywood said:
Historically people who stick with variables (or better still trackers) have came off the best.

I reckon the only time you should fix is if there is an expectation of a major hike or when you are young and a 1 or 2% hike would put you under serious pressure.
It usually takes me a few hundred words to say what you have managed there in two sentences! :D

Trackers aren't around that long. They were introduced by BoS to the Irish market about 6 years ago. Interest rates have been on a downward spiral since that time.

Marion

With variable rates in the past rate hikes tended to be passed on immediately and in full (and sometimes more) while rate cuts tended to be passed on slower and sometimes only in part. Also variable rate margins tended to be much higher than they are for the most or all trackers these days. All that suggests that if variable rates tended to work out cheaper in the long term compared to fixed rates then that should apply even moreso with low marging trackers.

Marion said:
Trackers aren't around that long. They were introduced by BoS to the Irish market about 6 years ago. Interest rates have been on a downward spiral since that time.

Marion

True. My point is that I consider a tracker even better than a variable because it takes away the power of the Bank to manipulate the margin.

Hi there, can anyone give me information on whether or not it s possible to access a tracker mortage rate from any of the banks if the amount borrowed is in excess of 250,000 but split between two properties. i know first active will ony allow you this service if at least 250k is borowed on a particular property.

Having read Bill Tysons article on this forum yesterday was all the confirmation I needed to do something about my mortage rate. I was due a rate change anyway as I was coming to end of my discounted period. I contacted my lender (ICS) in anticipation of a fixed rate rate change and told them I wanted to change to the 3 yr fixed rate at yesterdays rates (3.49%). I also asked for written confirmation of this request. They said request has been noted and that a form will be sent out with current (3.49%) and I would have 14 days to accept these rates no matter what changed in the meantime. I did not receive written confirmation eventhough I asked for it.

Guess what, I have just learned that ICS have today announced a 0.6% increase (to 4.09%) in their 3-yr fixed rate from COB today.

I contacted ICS immediately to get confirmation that my rate will not be affected by todays decision. I did not receive written confirmation but was assured that new offer has been sent out with yesterdays rate and I have 14 days to accept. In addition, they said that rate increase announced today has been extended to COB on Monday 28th.

In ICS we trust!

Cheers Bill

Rate increase is not looking as certain now........the guessing game will continue until December 1.

CCOVICH said:
Rate increase is not looking as certain now........the guessing game will continue until December 1.

missed that, has it got to do with the state of german and french economies?

Back