Fix short term - then long term?

Robert Grealish

So need a bit of advice in relation to fixing my mortgage. I have about €150k left on a property valued at €350k. I am long term looking at the KBC 10 year rate 2.95% but want to consider a short term option first which will allow me benefit from the current cash back climate. I have previously been approved for switching with BOI but am concerned that if I do I will miss the boat in terms of inevitable rate rises. I contacted KBC yesterday to see what's the minimum term you need to be with a provider before moving. The lady said they don't have a minimum requirement. Does anyone have any idea on this? Any suggested ideas to help move this plan along would be greatly received. Its a hard call trying to predict the ECB rate this time next year. What would happen if I fixed with BOI for 1 year (2% Cashback) but left after 6 months?
Many thanks for any advice received.

How about switching to BOI on a (terrible) variable rate, pick up your cash back and then move after a month or two? That way you don’t need to wait a year , or don’t need to break 1 yr fixed term if decide to move for long term fixed rate.

Back