Five Year Position As Civil Servant and Possibly No TAXES paid. What Next?

Wishes

My brother is back from living in the UK. Since back he has had to seek social welfare assistance. He received a letter from the social telling him he did not have enough stamps to receive full payment; but think he will receive a smaller amount each week.

He was absolutly baffled by their decision and brought it to their attention that surely he was well covered, as he always contributed taxes whether self employed or in a 9 to 5 job.

Long story short, they sent him out a list of companies he worked at while he was in Ireland, so he could clarify what they had on record was correct.

Immediately he noticed his term as a civil servant in the 70's was not on the list, so he rang them up and they said there was no record whatsoever of him being employed at that time. They subsequently asked him could he provide payslips from that period to prove his employment.

We are talking the 1970's here so obviously he does not have payslips from that time.

Currently somebody is looking further into it for him but so far they are coming up with nothing.

If he hears nothing shortly he is seeking legal advise.

With no payslips or P60 from nearly forty years ago what will he do?

Contact the department(s) he worked for seeking records of employment and any representative bodies of which he was a member.

ONQ.

I think the issue here may be that your brother would have paid Class B PRSI when he was a civil servant in the 70's, and from the link below it would appear that Jobseeker's Benefit is not one of the benefits of Class B contributions:
http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/PRSI/Pages/prsiclasses.aspx

If he speaks with Social Welfare again, they should be able to confirm whether or not that is the case, before he does as ONQ has suggested above.

Mandelbrot is correct.

Civil Servants employed before 1996 did not pay full PRSI and have no entitlement to most contributory social welfare payments.

They subsequently asked him could he provide payslips from that period to prove his employment.

We are talking the 1970's here so obviously he does not have payslips from that time.

Seeking proof of employment is a meaningless exercise in this case due to the above.

Is it a State Pension he applied for ? It's not clear what Social Welfare scheme he is on. I take it that it is as that's why they are looking for his record going back so long. If he used to be a Civil Servant and has reached the retirement age he might be entitled to a pension based on the number of years he was employed there.

Is it a State Pension he applied for ? It's not clear what Social Welfare scheme he is on. I take it that it is as that's why they are looking for his record going back so long. If he used to be a Civil Servant and has reached the retirement age he might be entitled to a pension based on the number of years he was employed there.

Civil Servants who pay PRSI at Class B, don't qualify for the Contributory State Pension, but he should qualify for a civil service pension, which would be a fraction (e.g. 5/40ths) of the full CS pension had he stayed in the civil service.

Anyway I reckon this may be an academic point, as the OP hasn't mentioned pensions, I think they're talking about JB or JA payment. (I think that if a person hasn't got sufficient contributions as a result of having been out of the country, then their total number of contributions will be looked at etc... in some other way of establishing entitlement.)

Contributions paid in the UK can be used to qualify for unemployment benefits here so if he's been abroad for the past number of years he should look into that.

In order for his contributions in the Uk to be valid in claiming jobseekers benefit he has to have paid one A class contribution in the Republic after paying in the UK.

Back