Fitting Gas Hob or Sink in Island Unit

imeldaduff

I am planning a new open plan kitchen in 9m square house extension. The kitchen area would be about 6 m long x 5 m deep. I am set on having a large central island unit. I am not a fan of the standard wall and base units so would ideally like a bank of tall units on the back wall which would house fridge/freezer ,larders ovens & micro etc. I Would like the sink in the large island unit. Not sure about the hob. I have to ensure that I have adequate running working space.Does anybody have any view or experience to share on a sink and or hob in the island unit.
Appeciate all comments. Thanks

someone (who has a sink in an island unit) commented to me that the area always looks untidy and as it's the first thing people see she always feels under pressure to have the washing up done!!

Just something to consider

just remember if you decide to put the hob in the island to tell your builder to put ducting pipe in to expel air from chimney hood, unless you use charcoal filters

just remember if you decide to put the hob in the island to tell your builder to put ducting pipe in to expel air from chimney hood, unless you use charcoal filters
all island hoods should have charcoal filters. i ad tplaaned to run ducting for mine but the guy in the shop said that it didnt work well if the run was not short and straight which made sense to me. in the end i just used the filters and they work perfectly

Also it was mentioned to me that the sink is possibly the smelliest part of the kitchen, so having it smack bang in centre may not be wise. Hob would work but as other posters have mentioned but extraction would have to work well.

also imagine cooking on the hob with children wanting to help and being able to access the hob from 4 sides - very unsafe.

We recently considered having a sink/hob in an island unit, but didn't because we have young children who LOVE getting involved in everything that's going on.

Hi,

would be interested in the feedback on hob in island - we are a bit short of wallspace & considering hob in island. Only real concern is that stuff could be knocked off hob easier.....?

Back