fitted wardrobes - what type of storage to get!

stresshead

I'm getting fitted wardrobes installed in my new gaff - the wardrobe man said I had x amount of space and that it was enough room for 3 doubles in a row, but that I could have whatever I want internally in terms of shelving, drawers etc.

Has anyone got any tips for what I could ask for as I haven't a clue. I'm thinking some drawers anyway, and some shelves...but basically there are going to be 2 of us wanting to put our clothes (and my handbag collection) in there so if anyone has made any mistakes or has comments please let me know!

Definetely get a good bit of shelving space. Our house already had fitted wardrobes in all 3 bedrooms when we moved in but they all have rails in them. As in two rails in every wardrobe. We have no shelving/drawer space except for a little chest of drawers which I need to change for a much bigger one. You don't want to have to hand up every little vest top and t shirt you have (like I have to at the mo!) You could get a little rail built in at the end of one for handbags and belts etc.

I got some drawers and some open shelves. But I regret getting as many open shelves. You can't pack anything in them. Well maybe the first time when everythings folded or books etc. But pretty soon you are trying to fling in socks and unfolded jumpers, spare sheets - and everytime you open the wardrobe they come tumbling out!

Get some wicker baskets which will act as drawers and are great for socks and undies.

Bamhan said:
Get some wicker baskets which will act as drawers and are great for socks and undies.

That's a great idea, hadn't thought of those, think I'll get some of those myself.

Sorry stresshead didn't mean to hyjack, hope all's good in the new house for you!

no problem - I'm liking all the ideas! my very fear is that I'll get these fitted, they'll be neat and lovely for approx 3 days, and then I'll be saying "I wish I'd got more shelving/drawers etc..."

the new house is keeping me busy, it has "character", i.e. 30 years of pervious owners who should be on that C4 programme "Honey I ruined the house"!!!

Seriously, I just sit there thinking, "why did they do that....they must have had some sort of reason/logic" but I just can't figure it out!

Got our wardrobes from Cash & Carry Kitchens - they supplied shelves AND rails, so we could change our minds later!!
Why not ask for all shelves and ask them to leave you the hanging rails too? If hubby is handy - only takes 5 mins to switch from one to the other

There's a shop in Dublin city centre (can't remember the name of the street, but it goes from in front of the gaiety to george's st. think the shop is called mobilia) that sells fairly fancy italian furniture. The last time i looked they had some wardrobes with unusual fittings - shoe racks, little drawers for socks (i think!), and so on. Might be worth having a look, to extend the possibilities beyond rail/drawer/shelf.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea but I got the bright idea to put the telly into the wardrobe on top of the drawers. Its much handier than having it taking up floor space or hogging a wall. It doesn't take up that much space really.

There are plastic sorters for keeping the socks neat and tidy. I've seen them in mags but not in any particular shop yet.

A must is to have one wardrobe with long space for dresses, trousers etc. Most of the others can have two hanging rails to take shirts and suits and these if high enuf can have shelves overhead.

I've also seen a very nice display where handbags were stored on the wall by hanging them individually but not sure about that one.

If you are anywhere near Long Mile Rd. you could have a look at the Panelling Centre or [broken link removed] for tips.

thanks for all those tips - we picked out doors at the weekend so I just have to decide on the interior now.

Another entirely stupid question - if you get laminate floors in your bedroom do you have to match them to your wardrobes? We're getting cherrywood doors in the panelling centre but I looked at cherrywood flooring and it looked kinda darker...

No I think two contrasting woods look much nicer, if you go for all the same wood it can look bland.
A mix of light and dark is great.
I would look at the clothes you normally wear and then judge how best to store them and then match that to what you need.

Tarquin said:
Love the idea of putting a TV in a wardrobe - might steal that for our own!

Make sure that you ask for the shelf to be put on rollers so the telly can be pulled in and out depending on where the bed is postioned...very little extra cost but most definitely worth it.

hmm so maybe some light coloured flooring (maybe beech) with the cherry wood wardrobes might be good. thanks for the tip. You're not gonna be able to see much floor anyway by the time the bed etc. is in!

A friend of mine also has a couple of sockets at the back of her wardrobe by a door that has a full legnth mirror on the inside. She can just leave her hairdryer andd GHD on that shelf in the wardrobe - ready to go whenever she needs.

Don't mean to hijack - I'm thinking of built-ins V free standing wardrobes but have no idea of prices of getting built-ins? There are 2 rooms with 58" & 72" cavities so I'm thinking the 3 door wardrobes - 2 doors for hanging & 1 door of shelving?
anyone any idea of approx prices??

There is a shop around Kenilworth, called Storage Solutions, which has a hugh selection of different ways of storing everything. They have the sock dividers for drawers, and the perfect way for storing belts. [broken link removed] is the website. The last time I was in I saw a method for storing the ironing board, which I will be buying

I have three double wardrobes as follows - 1 wardrobe (hanging dresses, trousers etc. this has a shelf at the bottom with two drawers side by side underneath.

next is a wardrobe with double rails for shirts etc. I then have a wardrobe that is partly build around a chimney breast, one side has three deep drawers (wicker baskets on runners) the rest is shelves - the side that is over the chimney breast, half is used as a library and the other bit has hooks that are used to hold handbags, belts, jewellery etc. One of the doors has two rails that ties are hung on.

Back