Fis

farran

Does anyone know how it works. I"m separated-not legally & maintenance payments are not very reliable at the moment is this taken into consideration or not. I work part-time & have three children & a mortgage..
Thank U

Part-time work must be at least 38 hours per forthnight.The maintenance situation would be examined.You would have to provide evidence of non-payment of maintenance.You would probably have to provide details of efforts by your solicitor to obtain maintenance.

As far as I know , you would be treated as a family , as you are not legally separated , therefore both your income and your husbands income would be taken into account.

Also , as the maintenance payments are not legally enforced , I believe that any payments , regular or not would not be included in your assessment .

FIS is a payment for families, and single parent families .That is the only two categories that I know of entitled to FIS .

However , I stand to be corrected on the above.

Are you on OFP as well? That would be added to income for FIS. See [broken link removed].ie for FIS info.

Not too sure tbh. A friend of mine (seperated for a year), but not legally, recieved FIS last year. I have submitted my application for FIS about a month ago, i sent a copy of my acceptence by the legal aid board for seperation proceedings to confirm that i was actually trying to seperate from my ex. I do not recieve any maintenance, but was told maintenance for the children is not taken into account. I dont get any help from my ex what so ever financially or otherwise. As it stands paying 300 a week childcare, i would be better off staying at home and claiming social welfare. I do not want to give up work, and it's seems silly to think i could get more help to sit on my laurels.

Good luck OP, let us know how you get on. When i get a reply to my application i will let you know.

Just checked out www.welfare.ie/fis ..Maintenance for children is not counted as income ..Also spoke to some one today who has been through same & legal separation documents are not required ,once u have been living apart for more than 3 months.

Back