First time buyers - best location to buy around Cork City?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LM177

Hi, we're a couple who have been living and renting in Cork City for nearly 2 years. We want to buy a house now but aren't sure where. I work in city centre and my partner works south link direction. I would need to be able to walk to the city or have a very good bus route. We want the worst house in the best location! Any comments or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

what about douglas? very close to south link and also there are lots of buses going straight into town. If you stick to Frankfield, Grange or Donnybrook there are direct buses, I don't think the buses are great from the Rochestown/Maryborough direction but they are nicer areas.

what about douglas? very close to south link and also there are lots of buses going straight into town. If you stick to Frankfield, Grange or Donnybrook there are direct buses, I don't think the buses are great from the Rochestown/Maryborough direction but they are nicer areas.

U won't get much for 380,000(ish) in Rochestown or Maryborough :(

You would be surprised, i saw two three bed houses around that area this week. They were in the older estates not Mount Oval or Marybourough woods but stil in the area. You can get a two bed house in Mount Oval for that price range aswell or two bed in Maryborough Woods if you were willing to lose a room for the area.

If you have 380ish to spend would you not go for a new house lovely estate up Matthew Hill direction Manor Farm, Irish & European selling them????

i would second the recommendation for Frankfield, Ardfield/Grange, Donnybrook outside of Douglas as they do have a great bus link however the traffic to get onto the link is awful if you leave after 8am.

I'd avoid Douglas like the plague, simply because of the traffic which is horrendous.
You should look in a website like daft.ie and find a house you like first, then check out the area

also blackrock/ ballintemple/ ballinlough have good bus routes and are good areas - you might not get as nice a house (regarding newness and all mod cons as houses seem to be older but detached) for what you are willing to pay there though.

Thanks for all those coments, very helpful - we are keeping our eye on houses in those locations though the advice at the mo seems to be stay put for about six months.

Re bus service in rochestown

New Cork City Bus Routes
New routes planned for Cork city include the provision of a new 10A service to run in parallel to the existing No 10. The 10A service will operate between the City Centre and Mahon Point, via Boreenmanna Road.
A new No 16 service will operate between the City centre/Rochestown/Mount Oval/Maryborough Hill.
City buses are currently on order by Bus Éireann and it is envisaged that these service improvements will be introduced in late 2007.

Source Bus Eireann

Thanks for all those coments, very helpful - we are keeping our eye on houses in those locations though the advice at the mo seems to be stay put for about six months.

How about Cobh? It has a great regular train service to the city. If your partner is in the south link area she has the choice of the tunnel or the car ferry in Cobh. 380,000 would get you a great bargain at the moment, plenty of choice in the town. I've been checking house prices in the town regularly and they are not moving down anymore. I recon now is a good time to buy. Be ready to pounce on your new home once the budget is announced, have all the ground work done beforehand, offers in etc. I feel the market will start moving in Janurary again. Prices won't rise but the best value deals will go quick.

I recon now is a good time to buy. Be ready to pounce on your new home once the budget is announced, have all the ground work done beforehand, offers in etc. I feel the market will start moving in Janurary again. Prices won't rise but the best value deals will go quick.
I couldn't disagree more with your analysis
The market is going to be in paralysis for most of next year before sellers get the message that prices have to come down. My advice to first time buyers and anyone planning on trading up is stay out of the market for at least 12 months. You may get a lot more for your money in early 2009 when the dust settles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back