First Time Buyer Status

D

Damcm

I have recently bought a property in Bulgaria and am now trying to buy here in Dublin. I am interested to find out whether buying the property in Bulgaria will affect my first time buyer status. I have read that by setting up a company in Ireland and registering the overseas property to the company means that I am still a first time buyer here. Can anyone confirm whether any of this is true and is there any tax implications regarding all this? How will the relevant bodies ever find out about my property overseas as a personal loan here is all that is required to use as the deposit, and the mortgage will be in Bulgaria

As far as I am aware, technically you are not a ftb, nor never can be after you have purchased a property anywhere on planet earth. At this juncture you have already purchased the property in your own name anyway, although I doubt very much if the scheme outlined above would prove acceptable to the revenue. Revenue have a rule whereby they look at the substance of the transaction ie you purchased a property in Bulgaria.

Back