First Time Buyer Status Following Marriage...

strewth

Hi,
I bought a property 4 years ago as a first time buyer. I recently married my husband who has never bought a property. Does he still qualify as a 'first time buyer' if he wants to buy a house, now that we are married and my home is effectively the 'family home'?

If you buy jointly then your non FTB status will mean that you are jointly considered non FTBs for stamp duty purposes. I think (not 100% sure but check related threads on this) that you can still claim FTB mortgage interest relief - you for whatever remains of your 7 year FTB period and him for a full 7 years. If he bought in his sole name then he may be treated as a FTB but (a) this might require that you have no beneficial interest in the property or contribute to the mortgage (b) this is probably not feasible under the relevant rules (Family Home Protection Act etc.) and (c) according to recent threads on this sort of issue (see threads dealing with SD/CGT implications of putting spouse on deeds of house originally bought in one name before marriage) lenders seem generally unwilling to put a single spouse's name on the mortgage/property deeds. In short I suspect that you will be classed as non FTBs for SD purposes but FTBs for mortgage itnerest relief as outlined above.

Back