First Time Buyer in Ireland, but property owner in UK.

Northerngirl

Im aware that according to legislation, I cant say Im a 1st time buyer while already owning a UK property. However is there anyway this can be checked out? According to an Independent mortgage advisor I spoke to, if you dont tell them, they're unlikely to check...

Well a mortgage broker would say that if they thought that's what they wanted you to hear........

If you want advice on how to evade tax, please ask the question elsewhere.

You will have to make a declaration to the Revenue that you have never owned property before in Ireland or abroad. If you want to lie to the Revenue and run the risk of prosection then go ahead.
It's been discussed in detail elsewhere, the gist is, don't do it. If they tracked down bogus non resident accounts they'll catch stamp duty evaders.

It's the individual's responsibility not to make false/fraudulent declarations to Revenue and to face the consequences if they do.

Post crossed with NorfBank's.

Breaking the law is black and white on this topic, i.e you own a property therefore your no longer a FTB...

....but if it were me, I'd roll the dice on this one.

Revenue get to find out all kinds of things from all kinds of people. For instance, spouses in break ups can get very nasty and disclose all kinds of information to all kinds of people. Even PAYE workers can be audited.

I'm interested in the fact that long time posters on this board have a very simple pragmatic approach- thats the law, don't look for advice on breaking it on this board - my own view- while the "chance your arm guys" tend to be newbies, who perhaps don't have quite as much experience of Revenue powers, self assessment issues and penalties and interest problems.

mf

Im renting at the minute, bills included in rent and this is requested each month in cash. All bills come in the landlady's name, yet she lives in a big house round the corner, where she also has tenants. She's being doing this for years and has not yet been caught....

I already get rent relief from previous address and havent yet updated details. I doubt if landlady will sign new form for Revenue.

I would assume that your claim is incorrect so since it applies to a property/landlord which you no longer rent/deal with. You might want to update your details with Revenue. In fact the onus is on you to do this. See the [broken link removed]:
Multiple tenancies - if, during the year of your claim, you have rented more than one property, please submit, on a separate
sheet, in respect of each property, the following details: date each tenancy commenced, date each tenancy ceased (if
ceased), the amount of rent paid and the details of each landlord (name, address and PPS Number). In the event of a
change of address or landlord, please advise your Regional Revenue Office.

I have just spoken to Revenue, giving them my new address, was told Im getting the maximum rent relief of 320 a year, same as last address so didnt need to update my claim as it would be the same.

I have just spoken to Revenue, giving them my new address, was told Im getting the maximum rent relief of 320 a year, same as last address so didnt need to update my claim as it would be the same.
Perhaps they meant that you were not entitled to more money but from the form above I am pretty sure that you are obliged to furnish them with up to date details of your landlord/tenancy. Remember that Revenue staff and and (regularly it seems) do make mistakes in telling people what they should or should not do.

Back