First time buyer and bidding

To be honest if someone pestered me by 'dropping a note' of an already-rejected offer into my letterbox when I was paying an Estate Agent to sell my property (because I didn't want to conduct the sale myself, or have things dropped in my letterbox!!) I would not sell to that person..........so I'm not sure if that advice would produce the desired result in every case.

Recently I offered a sum close to the asking-price for a property which though generally considered to be overpriced, requiring costly renovation, is unique and which I was keen to live in for a number of reasons. It was rejected and another bidder offered the full asking-price. However it fell through as he had not done his research (I had!!!) on the cost of renovation and planning restrictions that were in force, due to its historic importance. It went back on the market and the Estate Agent contacted all those originally interested. Again I made a serious sensible offer which was again rejected and for a second time the property 'sold' quickly. However, as they say, "it's not over till the fat lady sings"..........or translated into property-language, until this potential purchaser signs the documents and signs the cheque. If that house comes back on the market I am still interested but would be dropping my offer considerably as interest rates are rising and property is not moving locally. This is a case of a not very intelligent, greedy vendor who doesn't know a reliable safe buyer when they see one and is in this case NOT being guided by the Estate Agent who are aware the property is overpriced.

There is sound advice for you in most of the above posts. If you want that house, if it moves you and you want it to be your home then you want to buy THIS one not another one down the road. A few thousand pounds this way or that is irrelevant. You've done your research and know the asking prices and selling prices locally. Make your judgement. Finding a home is too important and too huge an expense for game-playing.........and you'd better believe this, Estate Agents have many, many 'buyers' and 'vendors' who are playing games which they are well aware of.

Hello all, in the end we didnt have to get a friend to call. We actually forgot to call the EA over the weekend. We planned to raise our offer to get things moving on Monday but the EA left a voicemail saying that she was desperate to sell and would accept our original offer. Just paid the booking deposit today, We are delighted as we thought it would go for 10k higher!! Hopefully everything will go smoothly with the purchase.

Hello all, in the end we didnt have to get a friend to call. We actually forgot to call the EA over the weekend. We planned to raise our offer to get things moving on Monday but the EA left a voicemail saying that she was desperate to sell and would accept our original offer. Just paid the booking deposit today, We are delighted as we thought it would go for 10k higher!! Hopefully everything will go smoothly with the purchase.

Well done & congrats!

So what was the original asking price & what did you get it for again?

Back