First Communion time !

DirectDevil

First Communion time is a few months away just yet.

What is the "tariff" these days if you are giving a child money for First Communion day ?

I think us adults are over generous when giving kids money. My 12 year old went to Pennys with her friends and spent €10. she thought she spent loads.

I agree with Sue Ellen, it depends on your relationship with the child. I wouldn't go over €50 for a child that wasn't my own. But then you have to try to remember what that kids parents gave your kid when it was there communion. You have to reciprocate!

We'd give €50 to a niece or nephew. Other than that if I was giving a card to a good friend's child (outside of my kids classmates) I'd give €20. Our kids classes didn't give cards to each other thankfully, so we never felt the need to give anything to their classmates. If that had been a 'thing' it would have been a costly day.

We'd give €50 to a niece or nephew. Other than that if I was giving a card to a good friend's child (outside of my kids classmates) I'd give €20.
I know it is the norm for many, but it is madness.
A niece of mine made €800 on her communion day. A 7/8 year old has no need for that amount of money.

We never mentioned the whole money thing to our oldest. Went out of our way to emphasise it was a religious ceremony with parents and grand parents. She got some money (€225) I think and was thrilled beyond words.

Imagine her surprise on the following Monday when the kids in the class were discussing how much they had “made”.

I normally have €50 to a godchild and €20 to anyone else

Thinking back to my own communion and the sense of disappointment when you saw a present and not just an envelope. My kids can't believe I got things like rosary beads and religious books for my communion as well as cash!! It's really just a party for an 8 year old these days.

Thinking back to my own communion and the sense of disappointment when you saw a present and not just an envelope. My kids can't believe I got things like rosary beads and religious books for my communion as well as cash!! It's really just a party for an 8 year old these days.
Yea, but you were disgusted when you got the rosary beads and religious books, weren't you? (I certainly was!).

Yea, but you were disgusted when you got the rosary beads and religious books, weren't you? (I certainly was!).
I don't know what you're complainin' about; I got the head eaten off me by a nun after I fell asleep in the seat of the church in which we were queueing. Somehow my First Communion Prayer Book disappeared while I slept.
€50.00 for a niece/nephew
€20.00 for a neighbour's child or other distance known first communicant.
€100.00 if it's your grandchild, but you might even give more (according to threads on this forum grandads/grandmums are the only people who can afford anything). And even Purple wants to take our free travel away from us. Wait until his kids come to us on First Communion . . .

I don't know what you're complainin' about; I got the head eaten off me by a nun after I fell asleep in the seat of the church in which we were queueing. Somehow my First Communion Prayer Book disappeared while I slept.
€100.00 if it's your grandchild, but you might even give more (according to threads on this forum grandads/grandmums are the only people who can afford anything). And even Purple wants to take our free travel away from us. Wait until his kids come to us on First Communion . . .
In the last 4 years my kids got €20 or €10 from family and the school doesn’t encourage money or cards from friends so there was none of that, €50 from grannies and the wildcard godparent got a games console for one and a iPad for the other. nieces and their friends in the country on the other hand seem get to way more € though, so I get them McDonald’s, penny’s or cinema vouchers for the €20 and they value more.

My kids are well past the Communication and Confirmation stage. They are at the "I want a car" stage...

You are known for your singing on lots of posts on AAM , but we all enjoy it ......well most of the time.

Back