First Active Regular Saver - 7.15% on up to €1K p.m.

Hi guys, just opened the account. Took 10 mins. They accepted a standing order with my "normal bank" for c/a.

I really like the RBS group!:)

Did you get a copy of T&Cs?

Is it possible to set up a SO for minimum of E100 but also make additional transfers up to E1000 like with Anglo?

Hi guys, just opened the account. Took 10 mins. They accepted a standing order with my "normal bank" for c/a.

I really like the RBS group!:)

That's encouraging.

Can I ask do you know:

Can you amend the amount paid by standing order yourself, or do FA have to be notified beforehand?

Is there a limit or interest penalty for withdrawals?

Do you have access to online banking to make withdrawals?

How long do they guarantee the rate for?

I've emailed them with these questions, but no reply yet. Would be great to get away from BOI altogether.

Hi guys,

I'll be quick as I've to go back to work sorry... My answers have an arrow beside:

Did you get a copy of T&Cs? ==> Yes, they are for view at every subsidiary
Is it possible to set up a SO for minimum of E100 but also make additional transfers up to E1000 like with Anglo? ==> They weren't sure about a Rabo standing order (I've also got a rabo account) and they preferred to set it on my normal c/a with PTSB
Can you amend the amount paid by standing order yourself, or do FA have to be notified beforehand? ==> As far as I've understood yes... Sorry I didn't ask as my plans are clear on this account
Is there a limit or interest penalty for withdrawals? ==> As I understood no penalty
Do you have access to online banking to make withdrawals? ==> Yes, I already had my esavings and it should be visible soon
How long do they guarantee the rate for? ==> Great question... No guarantee as I could understand, they reserve the right to change it anytime

Is it possible to set up a SO for minimum of E100 but also make additional transfers up to E1000 like with Anglo? ==> No, but you can change the amount of the SO any time you want

Can you amend the amount paid by standing order yourself, ==> Yes

do FA have to be notified beforehand? ==> No

do they only accept lodgements through a SO or can you do an electronic transfer via online banking instead?

Halifax let you amend a SO online. I think I'll definitely sign up to this. Its a pain having to write to BOI every time I want to change the DD amount.

Halifax let you amend a SO online. I think I'll definitely sign up to this. Its a pain having to write to BOI every time I want to change the DD amount.

Do you not change your SO from the bank the money is coming from?

I already have an account there.
Compounded monthly. However that's incorrect if the interest rates quoted are AER. (which they may be?)
Granted I have one bug where the values total to the 13th month and not the 12th month.

I didn't include DIRT but you can get that easily as it's approx 20% of the difference

Sorry for this but is AER the same as CAR lads (male/female)?

Just confirmed with them that the only way to make withdrawals is a cheque from a branch or through an ATM, which would mean government tax every year. Its a balance now between easier withdrawals from BOI or easier amendments to monthly deposits with FA. Think I'll go with FA, but it would have been so much easier if I didn't have to go to a branch to make a withdrawal.

Why are FA offering such a good rate? It's not for the funds, otherwise why the max limits. It's not to get you on current account fees, like many of the other headline rates.

That leaves getting you as a customer per se and/or waiting to reduce the rate and hope you don't notice, not very convincing.

Think I'll go with FA, but it would have been so much easier if I didn't have to go to a branch to make a withdrawal.

...But can't you apply for internet banking with the regular saver of FA so that you can nominate a "payee" account where to move money? So within 1 max 2 working days you get your money in your normal c/a and do the withdrawal...

I think you can... Ask FA... I can see also in their leaflet that you can apply for it...

thanks to clubman for his answer above, 'shanegl' or anyone else who knows - is having a card mandatory or can you just withdraw by cheque to avoid stamp duty every year?

They told me that I can only register the account with online banking to view the balance, and that payments from it would not be available. I guess they could be wrong, I'm not a big fan of their call centre.

queenlex, it seems from their leaflet that you have to apply to get an ATM, so I wouldn't say its mandatory.

Hey,
I've two questions if someone could answer them please:) ?

Is there any penalties and limits for changing the SO amount? Very handy to be able to change the SO according to your cash flow.

shangel says:
They told me that I can only register the account with online banking to view the balance, and that payments from it would not be available. I guess they could be wrong, I'm not a big fan of their call centre.
but says in thread http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=67111
I'm going to open a FA account based on convenience. Amounts paid in can be changed by amending the standing order, which I can do online. Withdrawals can be done via online banking. No rate guarantee AFAIK, but I'm still going to go ahead with it.
So can withdrawls be done via online banking or not?:confused:

I was misinformed the first time. Staff confirmed that you can only withdraw by cheque or ATM.

Interesting that they seem to be forcing account set-up through the branch network. I wonder if that's because of the eSavings account debacle where they were obviously overwhelmed by the demand. I don't get why they won't allow online electronic transfer withdrawals, it would be so much more convenient for both sides than having to go into a branch.
Although perhaps they don't want all the extra calls to their on-line banking to set-up the payees...

Back