Firhouse 3 bed - Information on area / houses

dubdub123

HI - I'm plannning a move to Dublin 24 and have spotted some properties in Firhouse that are right at the top of my budget. I'm looking for 3 bed , low maintenance home. Don't mind some cosmetic work but I'm not looking for a fixer-upper.

Can anyone advise on the area please regarding the following
- suitable for family i.e. amenities, feeling of safety , walking distance to amenities
- secondary school (firhouse community and the new etss) - any issues with getting in? I'd be looking for 1st Year + TY student .
- transport to city centre or other locations - is the bus service reliable enough? Not a make a break
- Any first hand experiences of living in Firhouse - some properties currently available in OldCourt / Dodder Valley Park / Killakee / Woodlawn
- Greenway and cycle routes - seems to be a lot of work going on here and upgrades to Dodder Valley Park - any info ? Are there nice walks nearby ?

Would really appreciate any and all feedback ! I'm quite familiar with D24 but not the specifies of Firhouse, how difficult it is to gain a place in the secondary school and such like..

Thanks !

Lived in Hunters Wood for a couple of years, main issue was horrific am traffic, 45minutes to drive 1.5km onto the M50!

Don’t live in Firhouse but renting nearby and seems like a nice enough area. The fact that it’s in d24 is probably a positive making it a bit cheaper than adjacent places in d16

Can anyone advise on the Dodder Valley Park estate? Are there any issues in that it is beside the Rugby pitch and near the river Dodder? Or would it generally be very quiet estate? It has a lovely feel to it but I've only strolled through it once! So any actual input would be appreciated.

Also - has anyone gotten children into either Firhouse community college or the new ETSS recently? Any issues ? Are they overcrowded?

Any further input at all appreciated !

Can anyone advise on the area please regarding the following
- suitable for family i.e. amenities, feeling of safety , walking distance to amenities
- secondary school (firhouse community and the new etss) - any issues with getting in? I'd be looking for 1st Year + TY student .
- transport to city centre or other locations - is the bus service reliable enough? Not a make a break
- Any first hand experiences of living in Firhouse - some properties currently available in OldCourt / Dodder Valley Park / Killakee / Woodlawn
- Greenway and cycle routes - seems to be a lot of work going on here and upgrades to Dodder Valley Park - any info ? Are there nice walks nearby ?

I live in Ballycullen. Moved here two years ago from Swords. Bought in an established estate........that wasnt a concrete jungle like Hunterswood.

Suitable for a family? Very much. I have two kids and its night and day between here and where i was. In terms of amenities it depends what you are after. Plenty of GAA clubs, soccer, rugby. Basketball. No particular issues regarding safety. But that's all subjective.

Cant comment on secondary school. We are only in primary but very happy with where we are. Would have preferred to be in Colmcilles in terms of accessing that secondary school as the other half would like a mixed secondary.

Bus is reliable. 15 is the most frequent bus on the whole route. It just goes a long way in. You could get a bus or walk to the square and take the luas in if that was your thing. Or cycle in in 40 mins.

Woodlawn is lovely. We looked there but the only time houses come up for sale in there is when an old,person dies!! And we werent getting enough for our money there. Relations of mine have lived in Kilakee for years. Again no issues. Dodder Valley Park - a few of the kids from school live there but I've no personal experience. Old Court - depends where. Borders on to Allenton so it just depends on the part.

Dodder Valley Park itself is a nice walk. you can take it all the way down to templeogue crossing the odd road when you get there. Up the other way towards Bohernabreena you have the reservoir and Kiltipper Park.

Any questions just chuck me a PM. Don't want to put too much personal info out there.

Anyone know either Dodder Valley Park estate (off Firhouse road) or Killakee (on the opposite side further down)? Any input on what houses are like? (warm, low maintenance, may need work) and each of those areas?

Back