Fire safety - Has anything changed since Priory Hall?

iamaspinner

Firstly, I've read the long thread on Priory Hall (and more). I've found it very informative and thank you to all who contributed to it.

I'm trying to buy an apartment built in 2006 or 2007. I've seen the approved fire safety application pre-construction, and a mention to it in the architect's report post-construction (opinion based on visual inspection). But nothing yet to say that the building is in compliance with the approved plans and regulations NOW or AFTER it was constructed (other than visually).

This is what the surveyor keeps telling me. He also keeps mentioning Priory Hall, to which I suppose we could add Distillery Apartments, The Grange, etc. They seem to be popping up like mushrooms! I've even spoken to a senior engineer in the county council who told me about the virtues of self-regulation.

My only hope is that the management company, which I contacted as a last resort, will be able to produce a document that will satisfy me or my surveyor, but at this stage I really doubt it'll happen.

So I'm torn, or maybe not. I really like the apartment and the development. If I don't buy now I strongly believe I'll be stuck with renting for the foreseeable future. Prices where I'm interested are already well beyond my reach. Plus I will have lost the fees for the surveyor, solicitor (I suppose I'll have to pay her even if I'm doing part of her job and we don't close the deal?), etc. I'm not young and mortgage and mortgage protection will only get more expensive and difficult to get.

In the meantime people keep buying apartments in this development. Do they know something I don't? Are they just ignorant of this or are ignoring it willingly? Maybe I'm being too difficult or pedantic (please do not hesitate to point this out!)?

Anyone who thinks they would go ahead and buy, and why?

Ultimately, has anything changed in the law since Priory Hall for developments built during the boom as far as fire safety is concerned? Has there been proper inspections of apartment blocks or anything like it? I suspect not, in which case are they waiting for a "mini" Grenfell to happen here or are they just hoping non-compliances will be found before like some are and that home owners will just have to pay up?

if i were u the first thing i wld ascertain is have the common areas been transferred to the management company and have the open spaces and service been taken in charge by the county council. if so then u should be on safe ground for if it transpires that there are faults in common areas the management company whose directors are elected from unit owners can tackle the issue with the parties responsible on your behalf.

The transfer of common areas to an OMC does not relieve developer from continuing obligation to complete the development in accord with the conditions of the pp and building regulations. S7 MUD Act.

If developer in receivership or liquidation and the common areas have not been transferred i would steer clear away. Check local fire service and find out if they did an inspection and if not why not or do they plan o doing one. It is fire services that bring these to a head.

Thanks, mtp. The common areas have been transferred to the management company. The developer went bust years ago. I'll have to check with fire services. Is this the department in the County Council or the Fire Brigade itself?

Back