Fire Safety/Extinguishers in an Office

dieter1

Just wondering if anyone can help.

We have a six floor office in Dublin, with six fire points (12 extinguishers).
We had a company in the last few years to 'service' our extinguishers (about 400 + vat) but this year I rang up another company to get a quote.

So the guy came in, and he tells us that, we have 12 fire extinguishers (I knew that), but that 11 of them are Co2. the one foam extinguisher we have, is a 12kg one (massive) and that 5 of the Co2 extinguishers are the much larger 6kg version. The guy who came in, said that for each fire point we should have a co2 and a foam extinguisher (i.e. 6 foam, 6 co2). So he quoted me for 6 foam extinguishers, at €80 a pop.....

I then made one call and managed to get a price of €45 each for the same foam extinguisher.

I know nothing about these things, but now I kind of do, but was wondering if anyone could clarify what it is we need. It seems like the fire safety industry is running a complete scam - everybody quotes ridiculous figures, tries to make as much money as possible, but because its fire safety, nobody queries it.

Well I have queried it, and its a shambles. I rang up the head office of the company who have been dealing with us for the last 4/5 years only to be told at 10.30am that the person I should be speaking with, is having their tea, can I call back later.

Gobsmacked.

We have a six floor office in Dublin, with six fire points (12 extinguishers). ...11 of them are Co2. the one foam extinguisher we have...

Hint number 1 you should change company. What happens if you have a fire that requires a foam extinguisher? Like combustable materials such as paper, where CO2 aren't as effectve. Someone runs up a few floors and grabs one?

I rang up the head office of the company who have been dealing with us for the last 4/5 years only to be told at 10.30am that the person I should be speaking with, is having their tea, can I call back later.

Hint number 2. If his tea is more important than your business, or they can't even be bothered to phone you back as soon as he is available, time to move.

As ever when buying a service like this, shop around. Only then will you know that you are getting good value.

See this [broken link removed] for details of the regulations. Your insurance company might also be a good source of advice.

Absolutely shop around !

As someone who works in the industry, not only price value but also service value, is the company willing to come out and give you a fire safety audit ?!

The prices you have been quote for fire extinguishers is extortionate! You will definitely get a better deal with a few clicks. As a matter of interest I did a little price comparison on the various companies as this is what I found - some charge for delivery, while others do not.

6 Litre Foam

Hunt office - €89.99 + €7 shipping = €97
Safelincs - €49.79 + €7 shipping = €57
Fire Safety Express - €42 + free shipping = €42
Doyle Fire Shop - €39.95 + €12 shipping = €52
PureSafety - €47.73 + €8.24 shipping = €55.97

Non of the above prices include vat.

There is a big difference in prices and some include ID signs and brackets, while others look for a few additional euro. The main thing is to focus on value and the service elements

Back