Fire regulator

G

geegee

Is there any way of stopping a fire from gobbling up fuel i.e. some sort of draught/draw regulator?

GG

Can you be a bit more specific here ?

I would have thought the best way to stop it gobbling up fuel is to stop supplying it with fuel. Of course then you will be cold, which you presumably don't want.

Do you have a malfunctioning burner in an appliance or something ? Or are you talking about a coal fire ? If it is a coal fire then short of not putting coal on it you simply close the air vents below the fire grate - this reduces the flow of oxygen and slows the combustion as far as I know. Certainly opening the vents increases the rate of combustion and this is why the vents are left open when establishing (or re-establishing) a fire.

z

I will be more specific. I know someone who has a fire which burns up very quickly as there is too much draw i.e. too much air being sucked from the room up the chimney. There is no damper or vents of any description on the fire but I wondered was there any other way of reducing this draw say by means of a cowel on th chimney?

GG

Back