Fire Alarm next door!!

Lone Star

What is it with my house and noise. Next door is currently vacant, chap that owns it is useless, he's off on honeymoon and for the last 3 days his fire alarm is going off constantly - It's not the battery indicator peep - it's the actual alarm. we're the next door semi D and noise is headache inducing today even with music on. I'm working in my office at home. we have tried the station where he works to look for a keyholder, several times. so far nothing. There is no smell of smoke, so I'm not sure what set off the alarm. any suggestions before we burrow through the attic!!!!

Are you sure its a fire alarm and not a carbon monoxide alarm? If you don't have one would get one asap just in case as Carbon Monoxide can leak between neighbouring properties...

After 5 days the fire alarm next door finally died - it's at an intermittent pip now and not crazy loud - thankfully.

This happened to us with a vacant house for sale next door. Another neighbour reported it and the police came immediately and called the experts to break into the house and turn it off. You can be sure the home owner was billed for all of that. I was impressed with how the police and experts tried to do the least damage to get into the property.

Bronte, the house next to me is owned by a Garda. His colleagues came out and looked in the letter box soon after I phoned them. A key was found a day or two later but then lost in the station, myself and neighbour on other side contacted the owner, he still hasn't appeared. If it was my house and I got a call I'd have had a keyholder (the other neighbours) up to the house asap. It's worrying that it was a Fire Alarm and no one so much as suggested there may have been a smoke/fire related aspect to why it had actually gone off. Semi-D - Never again! Anyhow at least it's a bit quieter and less frequent now that the battery has almost died.

*Update* Finally we have quiet - after 2 solids weeks of a fire alarm going off, which had after five days gone from it's non stop incessant beep to a lesser beep/low battery pip - and then oddly in the last few days to a 4 beep and 1 second pause sequence which was strong enough to wake us at 4am this morning (I can sleep through any wind - but high pitch noises are way more potent). All thanks and credit to a very kind and decent member of the fire service pursuing it this afternoon when he found out the alarm was still sounding after all this time. Happy Days!

All thanks and credit to a very kind and decent member of the fire service pursuing it this afternoon when he found out the alarm was still sounding after all this time. Happy Days!

So ... any sign of the house owner in all this saga?

PaddyBloggit - yip - after two weeks (8 full days back in the country and working 2 mins drive away) he turned up two hours after he was possibly facing the full bill for a full fire crew being dispatched..... to deactivate took him a few minutes - not even so much as a knock at my door to say anything let alone thanks for the new fence panels between the properties.

Was it an internal alarm or the external bell that was causing the most nuisance? If it was the outside bell I would have been tempted to spray something into it till it stopped. When I go on holiday I leave my alarm off as I don't want it to disturb my neighbours.

When I go on holiday I leave my alarm off as I don't want it to disturb my neighbours.

I presume burglar alarm? Just make sure you're not getting any discount on your insurance based on the presence of an alarm. If you are and it's unarmed, they don't have to pay in the event of a claim.

I make sure I'm not getting an alarm discount. Usually they want the alarm to be serviced annually and some insurers have a list of service providers, one of whom must provide the service. I suspect that many people get an alarm discount but are on shaky ground if they have a claim.

Just to Clarify - the Alarm - was the Fire Alarm - Internal Alarm that is battery powered/backed up by the mains. I'm the other Semi-D house and it's timber frame - all that is between us are two sheets of plasterboard and two sheets of timber - in total . In the attic - there is Only plasterboard - I have a craft studio in my attic and it was too loud up there to use it without going batty the last two weeks. The noise bleeds through really easily (You can hear most things in the house next door) My office is under the stairs in the hall - as far as you can get from his alarm - but it was still loud enough to come through the front door to give a nuisance and a headache while 'trying' to work. It could be heard clearly outside on other side of road and enough for other neighbours also to contact the homeowner in terms of noise and of course potential fire/smoke inside. Two weeks is how long it took to be rectified and only then at the threat of the homeowner being billed by the fire service and possibly a kick in the rear from a colleague. Hence after a plethora of noise issues in what was once a quiet estate with nice folk - we are looking for a quiet detached property now with no close neighbours (In Wicklow which will be a feat in itself!!)

Back