Financing Teeth!

Presumably though, if you get your treatment done outside the Republic you could not then claim tax relief, or could you? The North seems like a good option alright .... I suppose I would be more comfortable getting stuff done in a familiar environment

Yes you can claim your tax relief for work done in NI. Dentist there told me to get Med 2 form and he would fill it in. They are very familiar with the drill here (no pun intended). Presume someone will tell me if I am wrong but that's what I understand.

Dont worry about the language problem abroad. The dentist I saw in budapest speaks absoutley perfect English...as did the guy who picks you up from the airport and brings you to all your apointments. Go abrod...you will save a fortune...even after you pay for flights and accomadation.Well worth it...highly recommed it. Eg I paid 320euro for the bleaching....my friend was quoted 770euro from her Irish dentist last year for the same service!!!!

The dentist I saw in budapest speaks absoutley perfect English
this is good to hear but I wonder is he an orthodontist which is what noor77 is considering getting a second opinion from?
Go abrod...you will save a fortune...even after you pay for flights and accomadation.Well worth it...highly recommed it.
For multiple visits for othodontics?.......not sure.......worthy of investigation prior to commiting I would counsel.

Like you Noor77, I had a bad experience as a child and put off going to a dentist for years - then I ended up with a crumbling tooth and a lot of pain. Had a medical card at the time and went to see a fantastic Chinese dentist in Palmerstown called JP. Then 18 months (later I was working by then), I found another very sympathetic dentist in Lexilip, an Egyptian dentist called Ash. He replaced all my fillings, did root canel treatment and extracted impacted wisdoms using intravenous sedation. All-in-all came out at about 2500 punts in 1996!! Had the work down over a 6 month period. These two men restored my faith in dentistry - I'm such a baby really!

Anyway Ash charged for one consultation visit as the rest of the time I was having treatment (surely you shouldn't be charged for a consult EVERY time you go?) Like yourself I needed a large amount of work done and I think it's better to have it done in stages - rather that have a couple of weeks where you can't eat anything!!

By-the-by the intravenous sedation is fantasic if you are a nervous patient - teeth get fixed but you don't remember a thing! And if you are attending the same dentist (who presumably is someone you feel comfortable with and trust) would they not allow you to work out a payment plan?

€100 sounds very steep for a filling, my daughter is 9 with (obviously) no RSI contributions and a white filling for her was only €40 private. Going abroad SOUNDS all well and good but won't help you in the long run if your dental phobia still persists, unless you intend to pop off every 6 months for a check-up!? Be a shame to waste all that cash by not looking after the end result!

One last thing - I thought it stated in the SSIA literature that you couldn't use it to secure a loan?

The easiest thing would be to find a dentist I am comfortable with here. As Markowitzman said, I couldn't very well be popping abroad every time I had a twinge!

My plan is to get the orthodontic assessment and take it from there. I will get all the fillings done first and perhaps when the time comes for the more serious and more expensive work my SSIA will have matured and there will be no need to look for a loan.

Thanks again for your great ideas and suggestions. You've all been a great help

Noor

Back