Financial advice for recent graduate

cavanlad1982

Hi,
I need some financial advice. I am not looking for get rich quick ideas. I just want my money to earn a little more than the best interest rates available for regular saver/deposit accounts. My SSIA matured last year and I lodged the 20K into a Rabo deposit account using it to feed 1K per month into an Anglo Irish regular saver account.

Although I do usually browse through them quite often, I don't want to have to read the financial sections of newspapers every single day or read up on the next potential big investment on the internet either. I don't want that hassle. From reading other threads, it seems like a managed fund is the best option for me and that Quinn Life has the best ones around. I will probably start making voluntary pension contributions shortly also if and when I move into the higher tax bracket.

Salary: 33K EURO base (10% of which goes into a stock purchasing program every week which allows me to buy shares at 85% of the price at start or end date of the program, whichever is cheaper. Each program is for 6 months)
Benefits: Free VHI, phone, broadband, company pension scheme along with plenty of stock programs.
Total savings (excluding stock): 28,500 EURO (9K can't be touched for 15 months)
Total current value of vested stock: 3,300 EURO
Total current value of unvested stock: 4,000 EURO
Savings per month: 800 - 1000 EURO per month
Outstanding Loans/Debts: None
Long Term Plan: I have no ties and I'm thinking about moving to London for a few years in January where I will probably start off on around 50-60K Sterling plus benefits. My long term goal is to buy a good house for myself in Cavan in maybe 5 years time while only requiring a relatively small mortgage. After that, I will take stock of my situation at that time and take it from there.
Attitude to Risk: I'd like to have a decent percentage of my portfolio in emerging markets (maybe 20%). As all of my current stock is in US dollars, I would probably like the rest to be spread accross funds tracking the ISEQ, FTSE100, and Eurostoxx 50 indices.

Should I speak with a Quinn Life financial advisor now or with an independent financial advisor first? Is it a bad idea to have all my managed funds with Quinn Life? Has anybody else any other good advice/tips for me?

I would buy global spread of etfs including commodities with the 20k and once you have 5k more saved then buy more. Continue for 5 years and reevaluate. As for get quick rich ideas............marry it!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tips on marriage :D I know very little about exchange traded funds. Who are the best people to talk to about such an investment? I will read around a bit on them in the meantime.

Back