Finance on history car check incorrect

kitty81

Hi
We recently went to look at purchasing a new car in a car garage and asked about a trade in value.

The sales guy was able to pull up all the details about our current car and said there was finance on it. We don't have finance on it, so was a little surprised and also when we bought it, we did our own checks and all was well.

The unusual part is that the finance commenced in August 2018 where we had bought and paid for the car in April 2018. So the finance started after ?

Has this happened anyone before or does anyone know how I go about correcting the cars record please?

Thanks in advance

Sounds strange.
Could the garage/dealer give you any details of what their report says and maybe you can query it with the lending institution?

you should be able to do a check on this yourself via websites like Cartell (for a fee it should be said).

Thank you for replies. Yes the car dealer turned his screen to show us the details but I stupidly did not take note of the name. I recall it being a UK company though! I'm not sure they will be that generous to let us have the details now that we may not be doing business there. Only because the car we were hoping to buy is no longer available.

He did say to us that only 7 digits of the chassis number are included for these purposes and we may have the same 7 digits in ours as that in the vehicle that is financed. Not really a fool proof system of checking finance?!

I think I will have to go the Cartell route, which is a pain seeing as we've done nothing wrong but will have to pay (albeit a small sum) to have it corrected.

As far as I recall there are a few sites where you can check car history/finance out so maybe do a quick shop around/search for the most cost effective.

An update just incase anyone comes up against this issue again, I contacted the Northern Irish dealer we bought the car from. He contacted the Finance company on our behalf and they confirmed it was an input error on their side.

Thankfully, whoever has the finance on whatever vehicle it belongs to, is in good order and we haven't been affected in anyway, just the job of correcting the finance company's error.

Back