Finance from Dell

The ICB don't hold your credit rating, it holds your record. Credit institutions use the data held by the ICB to come up with their own rating. This will vary between institution. The criteria on which they base their decisions may or may not be recorded-your application could just be stamped 'declined'.

If it really matters at this stage, see my suggestions in the initial post.

On the basis that BoSI have given you a credit card, you have been approved for a mortgage, and that the rate of interest charged by Dell/CIT is extortionate, I would be inclined to forget about it at this stage.

Jamjam said:
Well I am wondering why I have been refused even more so now after receiving ny new credit card from BOS. They gave me a limit of 1000euro. When I rang the customer service guy to ask for an explaination he said that it may be worth checking my credit rating as this determines the limit. Could there be a mistake on my credit rating? I have in the past paid off loans early but have never missed a repayment. What if there is a mistake? How can it be rectified? Not that i'd accept the dell finance now anyway but i don't want to have poor credit rating when I have nevr missed a payment. I did get approval for a pretty good mortgage on my own recently. Surely I wouldn't have got that if I had poor Credit rating. Sorry for rambling but I'm freaking with worry!

Go to http://www.icb.ie
I discovered that there was an error on my record which made it look like a loan wasn't paid off (for some reason the record seemed to have just stopped before the loan was paid off). Once you apply to get your record checked they give you a reference with which you can query it.
I have decided not to bother pursuing it further as it dates back more than 3 years, so would be removed from the record within 2 anyway, and I've no plans to borrow anything much in the meantime, except from my own bank, who've always given me everything I asked for (surprising considering that there is this blotch on my record!)

However in your case if you've just taken out a mortgage they might feel you were already heavily borrowed.

I just found out by the way who CIT Finance are - or used to be. They were originally a company called the Associates who were taken over by Citibank a while ago - these guys were borderline money-lenders. Their speciality was on the sub-prime lending market at usurious interest rates of as much as 29%. After comparing loans from other lenders, I think they might have done you a favour.

I've applied for a bank loan from one of my own banks and will not be buying the Dell, but I have been pushing them to get an answer as to why my order has sat on hold for 3 weeks. I saw on the ICB report that they checked my record on the day I oringally placed the order.

lff12 said:
I discovered that there was an error on my record which made it look like a loan wasn't paid off (for some reason the record seemed to have just stopped before the loan was paid off). Once you apply to get your record checked they give you a reference with which you can query it.
I have decided not to bother pursuing it further as it dates back more than 3 years, so would be removed from the record within 2 anyway, and I've no plans to borrow anything much in the meantime, except from my own bank, who've always given me everything I asked for (surprising considering that there is this blotch on my record!).

It's your call of course, but I would advise you to get this sorted out as it is well within your rights to do so.

Judybaby73 said:
I'm defo checking mine and am just printing off application form.
Why? Are you applying for credit any time soon? If not then you could spend the €6 on something more interesting.

ClubMan said:
Why? Are you applying for credit any time soon? If not then you could spend the €6 on something more interesting.

I'm not but I still want to know if there are any mistakes on mine. I'm not having any black marks after my name. I have never missed a payment or done anything wrong. I just couldn't sleep at night if I did!

Also the 6euro won't break the bank!

I've sent it off now anyway. Does it take awhile to get it back?

ClubMan said:

Yeah I'm sorry I did send it off now! Waste of money indeed. Not a blemish on it as I thought, Not very detailed either. I was expecting much more!!!

Thanks - I was half tempted myself but thanks to your experience and feedback I'll spend the €6 on something more exciting like a few cans of Bavaria. :D

Back