Final stage of M50 now in jeapordy

• Thread starter JumpingBean
  • Start date
J

JumpingBean

www.rte.ie/news/2004/0930...mines.html

How long can these objectors block this badly needed road?

They've already had their day in court, so whats the problem now ?

I understand that the fella leading all these hippies lives in Sligo. How can his wishes override the daily traffic needs of Dubliners ?

At the risk of sounding extreme; SHOOT THEM ALL!!!!!

And since this topic is open on another thread y'es can close it now!

Hi JB,

I agree with you and can feel your frustration. Even though I dont live in Dublin or use the M50. When will these crusty hippy tree hugging types get the message and stop standing in the way of ordinary commuters?

ajapale

Jeeze. Hang on a second there. This is a conservationist trying to stop this - not a tree hugging hippie!

His reasons for wanting to take this to the Supreme Court seem fairly reasonable too - the destruction of Carrickmines Castle!!

And I want to see the road finished...as an ordinary commuter who would make use of the road. Doesn't mean I can't sympathise with this man's campaign though.

Hi Piggy,

How would you characterise the guy who lives in Sligo?

If he looks like a hippy and sounds like a hippy and behaves like a hippy then......

ajapale

castle?

"His reasons for wanting to take this to the Supreme Court seem fairly reasonable too - the destruction of Carrickmines Castle!!"

All it comprises is a load of stones that once was a castle, hardly a national monument.
Weren't they already in the supreme court anyway?

If he looks like a hippy and sounds like a hippy and behaves like a hippy then......

Hi ajapale,

Okay, I admit. I haven't seen the guy. I just read the article. Maybe he is a hippie. Maybe he smokes marujana, listens to the Grateful Dead every night and finishes every sentence with the words "groovy man!"...but that doesn't really matter.

Tom. You might not have any great love for an old monument, but a lot of people do, as part of our heritage. I don't think I've ever even laid eyes on the castle in question, but that's not the point.
I can think of other buildings which I'd be very upset about if I knew they were going to be destroyed for a road.

Re: castle?

Weren't they already in the supreme court anyway?

According to the article they were in the High Court and are now taking it to the Supreme Court.

I don't know who to agree with on this one, I agree with both sides.

Perhaps if the state had been a bit more discerning about the historical sites it destroyed in the past it would be a little easier to accept some minor sites being lost today.

Given what they did to Wood Quay, and to some of Dublin's Georgian Buildings, is it any wonder we have conservationists who now fight tooth and nail to hold on to whatever they can.

You reap what you sow. The Irish state treated conservationists and historical sites with contempt, and now the conservationists are getting their own back. You can't really blame them.

-Rd

daltonr,

My feelings entirely. But you put it better.

Castles

Sometimes you've just got to get rid of stuff to make way for new things. So what if it's an old castle - Ireland is riddled with castles, many of which are white elephants. (elephant and castle :D chortle)

So clear the pile of stones, and get on with finishing the road.

In another few hundred years, are we going to be trying to preserve the Blanchardstown centre, or the Square?

Re: Castles

Perhaps while we're at it we could turn Newgrange into a roundabout.

-Rd

Re: Castles

If memory serves me right, "they" were in the Supreme court before and won. The minister then changed the law to suit himself so he could be judge and jury. "They" are now challenging that.

Nogser

!

Well if they're doing this because of a minister's actions then I'm on their side. I've completely changed my mind.

I hope they win and the M50 never gets finished.

hippy sound

Hi ajapale!
As a great admirer of the pelvis I would like to know what a hippy looks like......I know what he sounds like!
Viva las Vegas!

I agree

How would you characterise the guy who lives in Sligo?

ajapale

What sort of mentality do you have when just because somebody looks like a hippy, we should ride roughshod over his views. Bet they don't have motorways yet around Tralee!

Back