Filing online (Preliminary Tax Payment Question)

tosullivan

I went to file my return on ROS tonight and hit the Sign & Submit button, but I was expecting the service to provide a field that I fill in what I had already paid in Prelim tax for 2005. It wasn't there, but I'm sure this was there last year when I filed for 2004?

Am I wrong? Or is it somewhere else in the list of categories?

You should be able to include this on the Form 11 or 12 itself, AFAIK (not sure as I didn't pay prelim tax last year so didn't really look for it on the form, next year will be different!)

I went to file my return on ROS tonight and hit the Sign & Submit button, but I was expecting the service to provide a field that I fill in what I had already paid in Prelim tax for 2005. It wasn't there, but I'm sure this was there last year when I filed for 2004?

Am I wrong? Or is it somewhere else in the list of categories?

Check your payments made and see if it was included. Dont worry about revenue should have already allocated it, if paid.

where can I check payments made?

Click on the Charges and Collections tab when you log into your ROS account. This is where you will find how much preliminary tax you paid last year. When you are filing your return is only the balancing amount you pay (calculated liability this year minus preliminary tax brought forward) plus preliminary tax for the following year (100% of this years liability or 90% of the current years expected liability).

Woops, that's too difficult. This has to be addressed on the form itself, if it already isn't.

(Still waiting for ROS to solicit suggestions from ordinary punters on how to improve the forms, which are still too archaic IMO. And the help pages in the offline application can be downright misleading as they haven't been upgraded for 2005, but that's another story.)

Perhaps we here at AAM can start the ball rolling with a "Suggestions for ROS" thread?

I think that ROS is a fantastic system. Instead of tinkering with it to achieve marginal improvements such as suggested above, the Revenue really need to extend its use to cover such tasks as tax registration applications, C2 applications etc.

I had a record of what I paid last year in Prelim tax for 2005, so I just put in the balance amount. This year I decided to put aside a little more than usual each month to the side for my tax and its paid me back. I did a provisional calculation for 2006 last night and it looks like I don't need to put aside any more for Nov & Dec this year, as I've put aside enough to cover me for 2006.

I think that ROS is a fantastic system. Instead of tinkering with it to achieve marginal improvements such as suggested above, the Revenue really need to extend its use to cover such tasks as tax registration applications, C2 applications etc.

Agree 100% that it's a fantastic system. And that it should be extended. This is not in any way incompatible with removing anomalies or other "tinkering" to improve what's already there. It's not hard to update help files every year or to add a line to capture the amount of preliminary tax paid for the year.

Back