Wrong forum Figuring out source of dampness

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sillo

Hi,

Had a guy into a house I recently bought to treat timbers for woodworm (surveyors report turned it up). He seemed a bit concerned at levels of mold and dampness. Could not identify the source of dampness on inspection though.

Now the previous occupant was a beggar for having the heat on all day in the house, and it's been vacant for a period of time so not sure if those factors could contribute. I am keen to arrange insulation in the attic but obviously if there is a dampness problem it could be caused (I gather) by lack of ventilation - in which case putting down proper insulation may only exacerbate the issue.

Any advice on the best way forward for me, the most unhandy guy in the world; is there a specific type of contractor I should get in to look at the damp and try to figure out the source? should i just park the insulatino for a few months and keep an eye on the attic? I'm terrified of pipes freezing in the winter so I do need to get insulation in but not if its going to cause deeper longer term problems obviously!

EDIT: Forgot to mentoin two small things which may be relevant:
(1) Whenever I'm up there this last few weeks in decent weather it is VERY WARM - does this suggest poor ventilation?
(2) Almost no insulation currently; two pvc water tanks, no jackets on either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back