Fiat Punto - Any Opinions

foxylady

Has anyone got any views on these cars as I am thinking of buying one for first car, and am hearing loads fo horror stories, however still manage to see loads of these cars on the streets. Everyone keeps saying that fiat stands for fix it again tomorrow. Help

I worked in a large motor dealer and can tell you that Fiats are not great cars. The Puntos are nice to look at & cheap, I think thats why theres so many of them out there. Alot of mechanics seems to drive them because they can fix them themselves!! Not very reliable at all. I would steer well clear esp for first car, you need something safe.

As a first car I'd go with a Toyota Starlet or Yaris they are rock solid for reliability and are cheap to tax and insure.

Good Luck ;)

I'll Second that, you cant go wrong witha toyota. simple and easy to maintain.
would suggest a VW polo if you dont like toyota

Dobber is correct

stick with the toyotas or nissan micra. Fiat=:eek: !

Sunster said:
Fix
It
Again
Tomorrow

That was mentioned already, anyway I was asking about these as they are cheap option and thats my budget also as a first car it might get wrecked so dont want anything expensive.

I was asking about these as they are cheap option and thats my budget also as a first car it might get wrecked so dont want anything expensive...

But will the chap car turn out to be more expensive in the long run? If as the other poster have outlined, it is unreliable, then it could cost you a fortune ot maintain it.

I would 2nd the Toyota (or most Jap cars), but my 1st car was a VW Polo.. a little dinger she was.. (ah the memories)..

I have two friends who had a punto both had problems. When I was buying my first car I did some research and polo's, yaris's and starlets seemed to be the most reliable. I got a Polo which has been great but it seems Starlets have no problems commonly associated with them.

foxylady said:
Thats way out of my budget and not great value for a car thats 7 years old

You could probably pick that up for 3k it's a Starlet with only 30k on the clock in mint condition maybe you are better off buying a fiat for 2k and spending 2k on repairs ;) at least with the Toyota you'll get tried and trusted reliability and probably won't ever have to pay out for any major expensive repairs. What kind of budget have you got maybe I find something more reasonable?
Heres another reliable first time drivers car Suzuki Swift I reckon you could pick this up for under 3K.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=422276

If you are thinking of a VW Polo it's very hard to get one with power steering before 99 and if you are looking at getting a good one be prepared to spend between 4-5k

That starlet looks spot on and isnt badly priced.

Avoid the Punto.

Bought a second hand fiat punto nearly 4 years ago and I have never had a days trouble with it. Its 8 years old now and still going grand..........

Hi,

I have a 99 punto, my mam has a 97 punto, the main problem I have with mine is that the tracking regularly needs to be fixed, the most expensive thing I ever needed to get fixed on it was the motor for my windscreen wipers, and I needed a new exhaust once. Apart from that I havent really had any problems, apart from the usual new tyres etc. Had a renualt 5 before it and had way more hassle with that

My mam has had to replace her battery once and starting motor once and has had no other probklems.

I would agree with the other posters that toyotas / VW's etc are more reliable......thats why they are more expensive!

tml said:
Hi,

the most expensive thing I ever needed to get fixed on it was the motor for my windscreen wipers,

I also had to get the windscreen wiper motor fixed (must be a recurring thing with the puntos). Have had a punto for 3 years with only the wiper motor being a problem.
Though for a first car I would say VW polo, very reliable cars a few family members of mine drive them. Though they are very expensive for starter car. I started with a Micra and never had any complaints with it.

Fiat are terrible cars all round

- horror stories about reliability
- horror stories about various irish fiat dealerships
- horror stories about costs to fix

all car makes usually get problems, even Toyotas,
but I've never heard so many PAINFUL stories regarding
fiats and Puntos in particular.

I cant warn you enough ! DONT BUY THEM!

Financially, Fiat may be cheaper, but it shouldnt be percieved as
better value:-

if you can get an extra e1,000 or less
it will be actually far better value as well as superior car
to go for an older Toyota Starlet or Nissan Micra

and you will probably be able to sell jap car on for SOME cash and
alot more easier later on if you need to.....

....you can be cursing your broken down Punto
which is costing you more to fix than you paid for it

while some other learner passes you by in their little, reliable jap car
totally ignorant to your pain!

DONT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF BUYING A FIAT, NO MATTER WHAT PRICE!

JR Rizzo

Have you ever owned a Punto???
I own one no problems but the wiper motor!

Back