fianna fail in trouble

joe sod

Everything seems to be going wrong for fianna fail now, the media seems to have really turned against them now. What with the "property crash" program a few weeks ago and now being slagged off on "the state of us" program.

Everything seems to be going wrong for fianna fail now, the media seems to have really turned against them now. What with the "property crash" program a few weeks ago and now being slagged off on "the state of us" program.

Well I have never voted for a party always for a person that has done some good in my county. This time I was hoping for a solid election run up to see what each party has to offer and so far all I am getting is Bertie and his money problems. It is hard to blame the media when he is so evasive and keeps changing his replies--- money for renovation/stamp duty, given to him and not given to him but to Celia etc.
After almost 1 week of election talk I still do not know much about policies for FG, when are they removing stamp duty, how many gardai have they priced for etc.
And as for FF, they were not touching stamp duty very definite about that, so that has changed, what is going to change next.
The Greens were increasing corporation tax to 17.5% now that is dropped.
Dont get me started on PD shower.
I never liked Pat Rabbitt but of all of them he has been clear when outlining his proposals.
So unless this election run up improves I will again end up voting for a person not a party.

Fianna Fail will never be in trouble until the day after polling day. History teaches us Bertie isn't called Teflon for nothing. FF can screw the country and still get elected....but hey, the US electing Bush proves that there is at least one more stupid nation!

If Bertie gets the boot this time, I suppose he can always fall back on the book sales...

[broken link removed]

Why do all fianna failers pronounce fine gael as like "fine" in "fine weather", they must be schooled on this from the central organisation, the same way sinn fein used to refer to the police as securocrats. Its a bit childish really surely they should know the proper pronounciation by now. They are like trigger in "only fools" always calling rodney dave.

Why do all fianna failers pronounce fine gael as like "fine" in "fine weather", they must be schooled on this from the central organisation, the same way sinn fein used to refer to the police as securocrats. Its a bit childish really surely they should know the proper pronounciation by now. They are like trigger in "only fools" always calling rodney dave.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone saying "Fine Gale"...reckon your imagining it! Blueshirt paranoia...

After almost 1 week of election talk I still do not know much about policies for FG, when are they removing stamp duty, how many gardai have they priced for etc.

Time will tell - but I don't think this is an accident.

:confused: You've never heard it pronounced 'Fine Gael'?!?!

No, I haven't...generally it's Fin-eh Gale rather than Fine Gale
Find it annoying when people say Cumawn na Gale rather than come-en too

I still trust Good Oul Bertie.
There is a very simple, straight-forward answer for him getting suitcases full of cash from businessmen while Minister of Finance.
Just as soon as his legal team spend a few days working on his simple answer, he will tell us....again.
Also, of course, there was a very different culture in 1994.
Even God, at the time, was still working (with his legal team) on the first draft of the Ten Commandments.

I am not sure if anyone will agree with me, but my mum and I weer chatting last night, and we were both thinking that Fianna Fail were not really going all out to win the election.

My mum was saying in the past, what they would do when things were going down hill were to let the election "slide" and FG would go in..

Things would get so bad the FF would be reelected like white knights - comming to save the country!

I think its going to be the Bertie and Pat show after the election. FG will be left swinging in the wind despite pre-election pacts etc. Nothing like the sniff of power for Labour to abandon previous promises for "the good of the country".

I think its going to be the Bertie and Pat show after the election. FG will be left swinging in the wind despite pre-election pacts etc. Nothing like the sniff of power for Labour to abandon previous promises for "the good of the country".
I would be very surprised is Pat went into government with Bertie. He seems to be a man of his word and he has been very clear in his opposition to the idea.

I would be very surprised is Pat went into government with Bertie. He seems to be a man of his word and he has been very clear in his opposition to the idea.
Do you think if Fianna Fail don't do well in the election could Bertie be gone and Brian Cowan be elected leader. Maybe Pat would then do business with Fianna Fail and still be a man of his word. Didn't he say he wouldn't work with Bertie - not that he wouldn't work with Fianna Fail.

:confused: You've never heard it pronounced 'Fine Gael'?!?!

Yeah, I have always wondered about that - a lot of people call them 'Fine' Gael (i.e. sounds like Fyne or Fyan) and I think it sounds awful.

Anyone know why this is ? It tends to be older people from outside the Pale.

Do you think if Fianna Fail don't do well in the election could Bertie be gone and Brian Cowan be elected leader. Maybe Pat would then do business with Fianna Fail and still be a man of his word. Didn't he say he wouldn't work with Bertie - not that he wouldn't work with Fianna Fail.

Cowen took Bruton apart today during the Radio 1 lunchtime show. The discussion was about finances and budgets and how FF/FG/Lab were going to pay for their respective promises. Cowen had Bruton in a spin. He is a grumpy man but I think he would make a good FF leader. I used to think Bruton was a good politician until today. Totally out of his depth.

No Labour member who canvassed in the 97 election (after the FF/Lab deal of 92) will be voting for an FF/Lab deal again. They still bear the scars of the public backlash on that occasion. In practical & policy terms, a Labour/FF alliance makes a lot of sense. However, given our historical context, it is extremely unlikely that this will happen. FF will be talking the the PDs and/or Greens and/or Independents and/or Shinners before they come to Labour. Given the current poll results, there is a reasonable chance that the FG/Lab alternative Govt will be a realistic option, and no Labour leader or member would go to FF first in such circumstances.

Of course, the dream scenario for Labour would be an FF/FG coalition, creating a right/left dynamic in Irish politics, like every other country in Europe (instead of the current Civil War dynamic). How many generations will it be before this comes about?

Back