Ferries to France

No more free food on Celtic Link - well at leaast not during the summer.

Yes, they've introduced a new higher quality boat this year and have ended the free grub. I've used Celtic Link on several occasions and the bottom line is that their prices have always been very good. Interestingly enough though, I'm going over to France on Saturday using Irish Ferries on the outward leg and Celtic Link for the return and there is less than €30 between the two prices.

Has anyone ever gone as just a foot passenger and stayed close to the ferry ports in France? Any recommendations?

Hi Bronco Lane,
In France you have a chain of hotels that is very cheap called B&B. They're not luxurious, but better than the average Formule1 (at least all the rooms have an ensuite complete bathroom).
There is one in La Glaciere, near Cherbourg, with restaurants and supermarkets around.

Have used all 3 so here's my summary

BF -Nicest boat and shortest crossing but considerably more expensive. One sailing each direction per week also limits your options

IF - Plenty of onboard facilities, decent cabins and sailings every second day.

CL - cheapest, very limited facilities (shop only opens on request when the receptionist isn't too busy doing other stuff). Cabins are nice and probably the most comfortable of the 3. Becuase the boat is small it doesn't take long to get on and off. Plenty of sailings. I had no complaints and will use them again

I am just back from France a few days and can't sing Celtic Link's praises enough. I can confirm myself that the food is no longer free but I am a long time traveller to France where I have used the Normandie, the Oscar Wilde and Pont Avon and Celtic Link Ferries was by far the least expensive. They had a cinema, musicians onboard and the cabins were spacious and spotless.

If I had to play devil's advocate and pick holes there was a bit of waiting time for the food, but it was nice. If anybody is going to France, go with this crowd!!

Celtic Link cabins have wider beds and slightly wider passageway in the cabin.

Very clean and enjoyable trip had by all.

Have used IF, Brittany and now Celtic Link over 10 years travelling to France in Summer.

The cash savings definitely offset the longer time it took the ferry to get there.

Hope to travel again next year and if i do it will again be with Celtic Link.

As a family (2A +3C) Normally take fast ferry from Dublin to Holyhead on a Sat then drive to first lunch break off Birmingham toll road then to Folkstone and on to Shuttle to overnight in Bethune France. Next day drive to Marseilles arriving 7pm Sunday.

Coming back we went via Cherbourg on overnight ferry to Rosslare.

The direct ferry option on the way back added about 12 hours to the journey (compared to an overnight near Calais and drive through UK) and cost €273 more. We were lucky the long sea crossing was smooth (sometimes the hour and half to Holyhead is too long for my sea legs to cope and I wouldn't have liked 19/20 hours of it).

It may not be for everyone but we found going via the UK to be a quicker and cheaper way to get to S France by your own car.

Hope this helps someone?

anyone else got any recommendations/suggestions about travelling via the Uk to France. Looking at the Vendee region, and trying to compare whether better value to go CL from Rosslare to Cherbourg, or Dublin to Uk, drive to Dover and then to France.

Suggestions are to what way to breakup the journey, where to overnight etc. so that I can get an idea of prices, as the cost is CL €858 for (2A&2C) v's €390 to HH and €90 from Dover to Dunkerque, obviously more driving if via the UK, but wondering what way to play trip, as we will be camping so no access to site until circ mid afternoon.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions, as want to see whether worthwhile even looking at the overland option.

You could try Plymouth/Poole to Cherbourg/Le Havre/St Malo too.

the site is handy for comparing multiple ferry operators.

thanks fraggle, I have the price of the ferries that I got from that site, I am looking for travel details, whats the best time to travel, where to stay (Uk/France) on the trip, and any recommendations on places to stay from those who go this route versus going from Rosslare to France.

Just one thought. I would rather go to Saint-Malo than Cherbourg. It is a beautiful city, and if you want to visit Mont Saint-Michel it is so much closer. The best is to rent a car, but there is also bus. The bus stops close to the port in front of the Tourist Information office. It's a nice excursion but St-Malo is also great, especially the beaches. I took the overnight Brittany Ferries service, it was splendid.

Did the UK landbridge to France before (3 years ago) but lot of going - Mid-west to Rosslare, overnight there, then Pembroke Dover (overnight there), then back to Vendee (one overnight on way - got most of the way to Vendee). Fairly shattered when eventually arrived - 2 v young kids at the time so some stops required.

Would be slow to do it again, especially as direct boat to France can currently be sourced at the same cost as the boat to Wales.

Back