Ferries to France

mohenley

Hi,

Planning on going to france by ferry in Sep (avoiding flights due to Volcanic ash). Just wondering if anyone can recommend whether Celtic Link or irish Ferries are better (Celtic Link have overnight sailing which appeals). Going from Rosslare to Cherbourg. Also wondering what the cabins/food are like?

Hi,
I have heard from 2 people who used Celtic Link recently ( both ash related last minute bookings).

They both said that the Celtic Link boat is smaller than the Irish Ferries boat, the public areas and enertainment facilites are very limited, but the cabins were good quality.

The Irish Ferries boat has lots of space with a cinema, bars, kids magician show and disco, a few play areas for different ages,

Celtic Link prices are very good for summer compared to Irish Ferries.
Both do only overnight sailings.

Dont know about the food - I have no expectations of anything other than over-priced fried slop on a ferry.

Hi,

Planning on going to france by ferry in Sep (avoiding flights due to Volcanic ash). Just wondering if anyone can recommend whether Celtic Link or irish Ferries are better (Celtic Link have overnight sailing which appeals). Going from Rosslare to Cherbourg. Also wondering what the cabins/food are like?

I have only used the Irish Ferries sailing from Rosslare to Cherbourg. It was the old boat , MV Normandie, and we found it fine. I would love to sail on the Oscar Wilde, I believe it is lovely. Food is overpriced but there is a good variety. In fact, the sit down restaurant on the MV Normandie was probably better value than the canteen. However, with kids that might not be a great option. slim

I read somewhere that the Brittany Ferries Port Aven is 4 hours faster than Irish Ferries (from Cork rather than Rosslare) is nicer but a bit more expensive ?

Anyone substantiate this ?? I have travelled with IF loads of times and found them great.

The Pont Aven is 4 hours faster because it sails to Roscoff which is closer to Ireland than Cherbourg!

Brittany Ferries would be my No. 1 choice but we always go with Irish Ferries (the old MV Normandie was a sh*tehole) on the Oscar Wilde because
(a) Rosslare is less than 90 mins drive, Cork is 4 hours
(b) We cash in our Tesco vouchers to pay for the crossing in full, so we have a free trip.

Irish Ferries sail to both Roscoff & Cherbourg. This year, due to the timetable, we're sailing into Cherbourg and home from Roscoff. Roscoff is far handier as we're driving down to the Vendee region.

I have used Irish Ferries, Brittany Ferries and Celtic Link. Will be using Celtic Link again this year as the ship is new, clean, great value and the food is good. Facilities are limited but that doesn't bother me too much as the crossings are overnight. Brittany Ferries is the most luxurious but it is far more expensive and not worth it in my opinion. I haven't travelled on the new Irish Ferries ship - was too scarred from my experience on their old one to try them again!

Rosslare is less than 90 mins drive, Cork is 4 hours

Depending on where you are coming from - for us Cork is 3 hours, Rosslare 2 1/2 hours.

I haven't travelled on the new Irish Ferries ship - was too scarred from my experience on their old one to try them again!

Massive difference compared to that skip on the sea that used to give me hives :D I just wish the food would reach Brittany Ferries standards and then I would be a very happy camper.

Have booked with Celtic Link - out and back July € 930.00 - outside cabin both legs.

Great value compared to IF and BF.

Went BF last few years and drove to Vendee from Roscoff.

First time to Cherbourg and the journey to travel to Vendee will be approx 45 mins extra.

Good to hear some folk here liked the Celtic Link.

has the loading of the ferrys improved,because the last time i took the car away the cars were jammed up against each other,my wife had to climb out the car window,and other people were banging their car doors .

We had to use Irish Ferries to return from France in April due to the Ash. We were very pleasantly surprised. Food was good and not over the top expensive, staff were really nice to all us foot passangers and we booked a cabin with window which was also good. We had not used ferries for over 10 years so it was great. Sea was very calm too which helped.
No affliliation etc with Irish Ferries.

Have used IF doe the past 4 years - Rosslare to Roscoff. Yes, the parking area on board is cramped, but if you're ready to alight with overnite bags, no problem. Usually a problem when people start to fooster and open car doors and look for stuff, when they've been sitting in a queue usually for an hour at least and could have got so ready all they have to do is bring the overnight bag from their lap and hop out of the car. Don't know about the quality of food on board - we bring a coolbox with sandwich and fruit stuff, buy a coffee in the restaurant, sit at one of the many available tables, and enjoy our meal. Have only travelled on the Oscar Wilde - nice big boat, lotsa room to go for a walk, enjoy the many onboard sights which are either provided by the company or occur naturally, and still head to bed in a private (small) cabin - it's only for 1 night after all. So, unless the volcanoes start to come from the seabed - an IF trip across the water is not a bad way to get to mainland Europe. :)

Can you get plenty of fresh air? Can you open the windows on the upper cabins and are they expensive for an overnight?

Can you get plenty of fresh air? Can you open the windows on the upper cabins and are they expensive for an overnight?

You can't open the windows in the cabins, even if you are above the water level. The cabins are well air-conditioned.

Have a look at the IF website and go through with a booking, you will then be able to see the price of the different types of cabins. For a two bed cabin the proce is between 80 to 150 euro I think.

You cant make a booking without a cabin.

I've gone via Irish Ferries numerous times; on both the Normandie and Oscar Wilde.

Can't complain!

We tend to go for a 4 star 2 berth cabin as it's spacious enough to have a picnic in, has a TV and a wee fridge/minibar. Also, it has a large window - I can't stay in an inside cabin. We did book a 5* suite the first year the Oscar Wilde was used and it was gorgeous, but I prefer to save the money for booze in France!!!

I've used the three lines and from my experience, I would avoid IF.

BF is fine, meals are inexpensive, very good food indeed, clean and nice boat, plus the trip is quite short, so you do not really have much time to get bored. During the summer, they even open the swimming pool next to the disco/pub area.

And Celtic Link are definitely the cheapest option as they include free meals (all you can eat buffet basically) for all the meals during the trip, plus free coffee/tea all of the time of the journey. The ship is much older though and there aren't any fancy restaurants or pubs...

So, I would recommend BF for a higher budget and CL for a lower one. I found both quite nice, not so the IF ones.

Back