Feminism...is it really needed here in the West?

Man work 3.3 hours a week longer than women.
That's about 8%. All else being equal it is therefore reasonable to say that on average men should earn 8% more than women.
The fact that many women leave the workforce for a number of years to raise children is also a major factor since women earn more than men up until their early 30's.
There is certainly sexism in Ireland and there are certainly situations where women are discriminated against but there is more to the gender pay gap than sexism.
Ironically the only business owner I know who said that they would not hire a woman for a key role is a woman.

Many small companies don't have pay scales or even grades. They just have people doing their job and whatever else crops up and needs to be done.

Well they should still have to include the pay in any advertisied position.
Perhaps the publication of pay scales would apply to companies larger than X staff (I understand that there are quite a few such requirements that only kick in when you have more than X employees).

Well they should still have to include the pay in any advertisied position.

The scales in such circumstances would just end up so wide as to be meaningless. We publish scales internally, but again, they're quite wide so unless you start publishing everyone's salary, they do nothing to address potential pay gaps.

Interesting opinion piece about sexism in the Indo today.
I agree completely with the thrust of it; there was some disgraceful sexism in the Dáil this week.

If this is above Mary Lou then I respectfully suggest you find a more sympathetic candidate, about time someone gave the Shinners some holly.

If this is above Mary Lou then I respectfully suggest you find a more sympathetic candidate, about time someone gave the Shinners some holly.
It refers to the sexism by Mary Lou and another female TD.

Back