female facial hair: best way of removing/disguising hair growing along side of face?

priscilla

hi, anyone have any idea of the best way of removing or disguising hair growing along the side of the face?. I'm not sure whether my niece uses depillatory creams or shaves but either way she finds her make-up dosen't sit right in this area afterwards. Anyone got any ideas?, would laser be any good for this?.

Re: female facial hair

that nair stuff is meant to be good. electrolosis is another option.

A lot of clinics do laser/electrolysis for this problem.

But you would have to go for a consultation first.
It can depend on the thickness, severity etc of.

A friend of mine has it quite bad and they said they couldn't do anything for her because of the severity of it. Ongoing Laser to get rid of it would have damaged her skin.

I would not recommend using creams or delipatories for it unless you're really desperate, they're not meant for you face and you can break out in rashs if you take a reaction etc.
also, if the hair keeps growing back you have to keep doing the procedure.

good luck.

Hi,

I remember seeing something on TV about laser and apparently it only works if the hair is dark, there needs to be a certain amount of pigment to target the hairs.

My friend's Mum had her 'moustache' done years ago - very painful, took ages but was effective. Best suited to small areas I'd have thought.

I know that there are some depilatory creams formulated especially for the face which might be good (there's a cheap Boots facial one I used on my underarms when I'd a rash there and it was v gentle). I know it's recommended not to put make up on straight after - I'd do it at least the night before so the skin has time to recover. Otherwise, might waxing be an option? I'm thinking the regrowth would be slower and make up should go on fine. Also, there's Jolen bleach that can be used on the face.

Thanks everyone for your replies, will try the nair and jolen for starters and then she's going to have a consultation to see if she is suitable for laser or electrolyses, it might be the handiest in the long run. Thanks again, Priscilla.

Go for consultation first as using the products will not give the consultant the full picture as these products will probably start to work straight away, but the laser would be a permanent solution, dearer to start with but cheaper and easier in the end.

thanks for that NHG, probably the best way to go. The therapist did say she would have to have it untouched for 2 weeks to get an idea what it's like but she's only seventeen and very conscious of her looks, don't know if she will let it grow that long, time will tell. Thanks anyway for advice.

I would advise for your niece to go to a number of salons. My sister had laser treatment for facial hair and after spending €990.00 she ask the therapist when would she see results and the therapist kept telling her it would work but my sister could see no improvement. She went to another salon for a second opinion and was told there that the hair was to fine and very light in colour and that they would not consider her suitable for the treatment.
My sister look for a refund from the salon but they told her they would not give her anything. She took them to the small claims court and got a full refund. Atleast she got her money back but is still left with the problem.

I'd send her to Dr. Patrick Treacy at the Ailesbury Clinic (if you're in Dublin). He's excellent and I think the clinic can deal with light hair as well as dark. I think a consultation is about 80 euro. Salons are all well and good but I think it's better to go to a dermatologist. By the way, I have no connection to the clinic or the good doctor! I have, however, heard excellent reports on both.

www.ailesburyclinic.ie

She could try seen it advertised on TV looks like great stuff.

Creams are only a short term solution for what must be a huge problem to a 17 year old. If the hair is excessive there may be an underlying cause. Don't want to discuss medical issues but, if she were my 17 year old, I'd get it sorted so that her confidence isn't destroyed. Looked at the clinic site above and a consultation with a nurse is free. They also seem to have a clinic in Cork. I'm sure there must be other clinics of this nature also i.e. who have the latest in laser technology.

Thanks guys, you're a mine of information. I haven't spoken directly to my niece about the hair, it was my sister that was telling me about it. As she is very conscious about it, I have been doing the homework here and relaying it back to sis so at least she isn't aware of people discussing her behind her back. I don't think she has any medical condition, I think it seems to run in her father's side of the family, but it probably would be no harm to check anyway. The ailesbury clinic sounded like a good idea as at least you have medical cover there and she shoudn't end up going around a few clinics before finding one that works. Think I'll make an appointment tomorrow, it might make a good 18th present for her. Thanks again, Priscilla.

hi Aca, that product does sound really good, unfortunately it dosen't have an online shop at the moment and seems to just sell in America.

Thanks guys, you're a mine of information. I haven't spoken directly to my niece about the hair
Are you sure that your niece considers this issue to be a problem? I know a few women with facial hair and it doesn't seem to bother them. There was a woman at the Bohs AGM the other night with a relatively full (for a woman) red beard and she seemed happy enough. I am not making this up or being facetious!

Are you sure that your niece considers this issue to be a problem? I know a few women with facial hair and it doesn't seem to bother them. There was a woman at the Bohs AGM the other night with a relatively full (for a woman) red beard and she seemed happy enough. I am not making this up or being facetious!

OK Clubman, where's the punchline?
Lucky she's a Bohs fan...the woman at the Rovers AGM with the green beard gets some really funny looks!

As I said - I was not joking although I feel like the boy who cried wolf (no pun intended) at the moment....

I think the vast majority of women would find facial hair a problem Clubman. At 17 one just wants to be like everyone else IMO. Are you sure it was a woman with a red beard? Maybe you were next to a cross dresser?;)

I think the vast majority of women would find facial air a problem Clubman.
As I said I know some who don't.
At 17 one just wants to be like everyone else IMO.
I don't think so - at 17 I wanted to be different to my peers but probably failed miserably. On the other hand I wasn't female and facial hair wasn't an issue.
Are you sure it was a woman with a red beard? Maybe you were next to a cross dresser?;)
As sure as I can and want to be.

I wanted to be different too but it was more to do with attitude, clothes, make up etc., not physicality. And I certainly wanted a choice with regard to the differences.

Yes Clubman, unfortunately she does see this as a problem, her mum is unsure if the hair is light or dark coloured as she treats it so no one gets to see it, not even her mum. Her hair was blonde when she was younger but has got darker as she got older, unsure if the facial hair has followed suit. As for the woman at the bohs, different strokes for different folks.

Back