Feeling like I was replaced by my maternity cover

Thank you everyone I really appreciate it. I have colleagues that are witnessing my frustration and upset. One manager has tried talking to my manager but it has made no difference. I obviously can’t guarantee that he would back me up legally etc as let’s be real he could get it in the neck but yes I’m going to keep sending emails and if they refuse to respond in that way then that is on them. I have been having a good response with looking for other jobs. Again thank you all. I thought this type of behaviour was done away with this day and age.

It's not strictly correct to say that you can return to the same job. If it is too difficult to arrange, your employer must provide suitable alternative work on terms that are not ‘less favourable’ than in your previous job.

From reading this, and aside from the fact that the conversations you had with the senior manager/owner were totally inappropriate from his side, can we assume that you are not on terms that are less favourable then your previous role?. Are you out of pocket in any way?
Sorry if that sounds quite cold but sometimes you need to park emotions on these things which I know is not always easy.

If you have moved to a new role, then you are entitled to a job description for your new role.

It's not strictly correct to say that you can return to the same job. If it is too difficult to arrange, your employer must provide suitable alternative work on terms that are not ‘less favourable’ than in your previous job.

From reading this, and aside from the fact that the conversations you had with the senior manager/owner were totally inappropriate from his side, can we assume that you are not on terms that are less favourable then your previous role?. Are you out of pocket in any way?
Sorry if that sounds quite cold but sometimes you need to park emotions on these things which I know is not always easy.

If you have moved to a new role, then you are entitled to a job description for your new role.
Hi yes I do understand that. I was basically over transport and scheduling etc. now I’m not, my manager has said im doing the same job as I have invoices to do (which I haven’t had) it’s nothing like I had done. My salary hasn’t changed but he is trying to say im office administration when that wasn’t my job title. In my contract it states I may have to do other administrative tasks from time to time which I have done and had no problem with but im not involved in the running of the transport at all now and the newer person is. That’s my main issue. I have been pushed aside as it’s easier for them this way.

colleagues that are witnessing my frustration and upset.
Be careful how you respond.

Everything you do now will have a filter of woman/mother/part-timer applied to it.

Conduct that would be downplayed or glossed over in other circumstances could be held against you now.

Be careful how you respond.

Everything you do now will have a filter of woman/mother/part-timer applied to it.

Conduct that would be downplayed or glossed over in other circumstances could be held against you now.
I’m not really sure what you mean by that

Asking someone if it would “suit them” to move to a two day week and asking them if they could sign on instead is the polar opposite of seeking to find a suitable alternative role.

In any event, the definition of a suitable alternative is so open to interpretation that a wise employer would be better off just ensuring that a returning mother occupied her previous role - no ifs, buts or maybes.

I’m not really sure what you mean by that
The way you are being treated / spoken to right now is clear proof that you are viewed as a parent (specifically a mother) first, a women second and a valued employee not at all.

Do you believe that men on returning from paternity leave are asked if they would rather work less days?

A father who comes to work complaining of a hangover gets jokes and banter about his night out.

A mother who comes to work complaining that the baby kept her awake at night gets comments (often behind her back) about 'not being up to the job' or similar.

Be very careful what you say and to whom.

The way you are being treated / spoken to right now is clear proof that you are viewed as a parent (specifically a mother) first, a women second and a valued employee not at all.

Do you believe that men on returning from paternity leave are asked if they would rather work less days?

A father who comes to work complaining of a hangover gets jokes and banter about his night out.

A mother who comes to work complaining that the baby kept her awake at night gets comments (often behind her back) about 'not being up to the job' or similar.

Be very careful what you say and to whom.
Oh ok I understand you now and ye I have always been aware of that and thankfully my kids haven’t made my role less favourable for me to be in, my manager also did highlight how hard it is to come back off maternity when I never mentioned that. I just turned up to work when I was due to

Hi yes I do understand that. I was basically over transport and scheduling etc. now I’m not, my manager has said im doing the same job as I have invoices to do (which I haven’t had) it’s nothing like I had done. My salary hasn’t changed but he is trying to say im office administration when that wasn’t my job title. In my contract it states I may have to do other administrative tasks from time to time which I have done and had no problem with but im not involved in the running of the transport at all now and the newer person is. That’s my main issue. I have been pushed aside as it’s easier for them this way.
Ok, so whilst your T&C's have been honoured in terms of salary, in effect you see yourself as being demoted in your new role?. That obviously then impacts on your future career prospects and your future earning prospects.

As I said previously, I'd insist on a new job description, if they fail to provide it then they just keep digging the hole that little bit deeper.

worth having a conversation with Citizens Advice as well

Seeking legal advice is wise alright, but note an employer is under no obligation to allow external representation in internal process meetings, and most don't.
Yes and I would add to this that an employer is under no obligation to provide work for an employee.

Yes and I would add to this that an employer is under no obligation to provide work for an employee.
Return from maternity is a special case where an employer could easily find themselves in bother for failing to do so, especially when work of the nature being carried out prior to leave still continues.

Return from maternity is a special case where an employer could easily find themselves in bother for failing to do so, especially when work of the nature being carried out prior to leave still continues.
That is very true. Reading the original posters current situation prompted my reply. Without a job sharing partner it is very difficult for this to be resolved. Also lack of work if it is a generic role and feeling sidelined in not quantifiable. In one of my previous lives I was a Union Rep.

That is very true. Reading the original posters current situation prompted my reply. Without a job sharing partner it is very difficult for this to be resolved.
Agreed, the transportation role does very much sound like a 5 days a week demand with other administration activity then a low to part time demand.

A savvy employer might try to make a sharing of the transportation tasks work for both staff to allow flexibility when one is on holidays or out sick. That however requires some effort and flexibility all round, and may not be optimal depending on the exact nature of the work.

...sidelined in [is] not quantifiable
I'd disagree.

OP has a very clear understanding of what her role was before going on leave.

She can (and should) document those responsibilities in clear quantifiable terms. Number, facts, action words.

And then do the same exercise for the tasks she has now.

Back