Feedback forum / thread?

Much of that is an example of something I'd usually be tempted to remove. You started well, but after the comma, the remainig 90% of that post has nothing to do with the subject matter here.

Hi Leo

I had deleted that post before I saw your response.

Brendan

very useful forum
but I would like to see more tolerence of opposing views among posters and perhaps less moral high ground

I would like to see more tolerence of opposing views among posters

In general people do tolerate each other's views, although there is a tendency to attack the person one disagrees with or to call them names.

perhaps less moral high ground

This is a difficult one. I prefer the moral high ground to the moral low ground.

Have you examples of a post you don't approve of?

Sometimes people ask questions e.g. How likely am I to be caught if I don't declare my nixers?

It is likely that people will respond from the moral high ground on that.

brendan

[QUOTE="Brendan Burgess, post: 1526653, member:

This is a difficult one. I prefer the moral high ground to the moral low ground.

Have you examples of a post you don't approve of?

Sometimes people ask questions e.g. How likely am I to be caught if I don't declare my nixers?

It is likely that people will respond from the moral high ground on that.

brendan[/QUOTE]
Fair point I guess it's rare enough

Perhaps I mean more empathy would be nice rather than fire and brimstone ....

I mean more empathy would be nice rather than fire and brimstone ....

If you see examples of this, feel free to report it.

We don't tend to do "there, there ..." posts on askaboutmoney and a few people have been reported for being blunt with people. In most cases the bluntness was necessary.

Brendan

If you see examples of this, feel free to report it.

We don't tend to do "there, there ..." posts on askaboutmoney and a few people have been reported for being blunt with people. In most cases the bluntness was necessary.

Brendan
You weren't a parish priest in a former life were you Brendan :) ?

Having just seen this thread, I would like to add my view that the moderators do an excellent job, while they don't get everything right, the site does facilitate discussion without letting it get bogged down in abuse as so many other sites are.

For me mods are perhaps too quick to cut off banter, but perhaps that is needed to prevent degeneration of the threads.

As for the moral high ground versus the moral high ground.

I think an interesting moral dilemma arises in this thread,

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/unpaid-loan.204745/

The OP, a new poster, is asking about an unpaid loan, Brendan replies in effect to say, you borrowed the money, you should repay it.

There are many things that a person in such a position could be told, about refusing to acknowledge the debt and the statute of limitations, that if they are pursued for the debt through the courts ultimately all that will happen is an instalment order for an amount they can afford may be made.

Should AAM tell people these things, a solicitor would, but does AAM want to be a "how to dodge your debts" site. On the other hand many people will be aware of these things, they are legal, why should this poster not be informed.

On the other hand many people will be aware of these things, they are legal, why should this poster not be informed.

Why not indeed? Off you go.

He asked a specific question. And I answered the specific question. "What happens to the debt? Is it still there,"

Yes, it still there. And I added that he should pay it.

If other posters think that Credit Unions are vultures and every borrower should do what they can to stiff them, they are welcome to express that belief.

Brendan

I would like to add my view that the moderators do an excellent job, while they don't get everything right, the site does facilitate discussion without letting it get bogged down in abuse as so many other sites are.

Thanks for that. It summarises it well. We try not to interfere too much. Sometimes it's a question of judgement and it's not clear.

But our key objective is to try to keep it civil and useful.

Brendan

Why not indeed? Off you go.

He asked a specific question. And I answered the specific question. "What happens to the debt? Is it still there,"

Yes, it still there. And I added that he should pay it.

If other posters think that Credit Unions are vultures and every borrower should do what they can to stiff them, they are welcome to express that belief.

Brendan

My interest is whether it is morally acceptable for AAM posters to explain in detail how, legally, to stiff the CU or other lender.

My interest is whether it is morally acceptable for AAM posters to explain in detail how, legally, to stiff the CU or other lender.

As long as the advice is legal, isn't that a matter for the conscience of the person receiving the advice?
AAM can provide both the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other...

As long as the advice is legal, isn't that a matter for the conscience of the person receiving the advice?

That is the mods' approach.

If someone asks "What is the best way to keep a set of accounts, so that the taxman never sees them?", we would not allow an answer which said "xyz software has a facility to hide cash receipts". But we would not delete the question so that people could advise the OP that it would be wrong and not worth taking the risk.

Then there is the grey area around - should I tell the bank that I have got a job and can now pay my mortgage in full or should I lie to them?

I see that we don't actually have a Posting Guideline on the issue. It doesn't come up that often and so maybe we are better off dealing with it on a case by case basis.

Brendan

Back