Fed up with management company

pachanga

I have a house that I rent out to a nice lady and her two children (rent allowance). I have a management company who I pay to look after collecting the rent/ paying me and any repairs that need to be done. The socials money doesn’t cover the entire rent so the woman pays the difference.

The social welfare pay the rent allowance for the woman directly into my account but the management company is supposed to collect the difference and pay me.

Every month I have to phone the management company about 6 times as they don’t pay me on time.

They owe me money for Dec, Jan and Feb and every time I phone their office I get the receptionist to always says there’s no one there at the moment but she will pass on my message. They never phone me back. When I phone the managers mobile I get his voice mail every time.

There are also repairs that need to be carried out that I pointed out to them in Dec last year. They still haven’t done anything about it.

The tenant is fed up contacting them so she is now phoning me. She’s fed up, I’m fed up.

Where do I go from here??

Should I contact my solicitor?? I registered the tenant with the PRTB ?? Do they deal with situations like this??

PTRB is not for landlord / Management agent issues.
From what you have said I would terminate my relationship with them-Immedialtely. However you have the complication of the current lease/tenant to think about. Whether you like it or not the agent has lean on you for finding this tenant-so a straight forward termination may not be possible. I would issue a letter to them from your solicitor -setting out the issues and informing them that should these issues persist, you will terminate the relationship and transfer the management of the tenancy to another party. Give them only one month and then act as you see fit.

Termination with the management company is not that easy. I have a contract with them until May of this year. I may have to ride it out until then. Also the woman has a contract with the management company so I don’t want to give her a months notice, its not her fault.

I will contact my solicitor about sending them a letter.
thanks for the advice

Land into their office and don't move until you get to speak to someone in authority about your concerns. You can then agree a plan of action, giving them one chance to redeem themselves.

You have the right to terminate your contract with them due to their countless and recorded examples of their failure to carry out their responsibilities of the contract.

Personally i would do this without the cost of a solicitor as it seems from what you say to be a cut and dry case of their failure to meet contractual terms......

There is no great incentive for them to fight it either, Im sure the fees are not more than 1/2k p/a and losing clients, Im sure, is a regular occurance for them if thats their carry on..

You have the right to terminate your contract with them due to their countless and recorded examples of their failure to carry out their responsibilities of the contract.

I think this is a valid point but it might be worth setting out in a letter beforehand that you regard their failure to carry out their responsibilities as a breach of contract and that unless they carry out their responsibilities by a deadline you choose (say 7 days or read your contract to see if there are any notice periods set out) that you will be immediately terminating the contract for non-performance (and send the letter by registered post).

I find the management companies / property managers to be the worst kind. They seem to mess both the landlord and tennant around and in the end, nobody but them benefits.

There doesn't seem to be any benefit for either yourself or your tenant in having the 'middle-man' involved and as they're not doing their job, you should be well within your rights to sack them. Personally I like the idea of landing in their office and not leaving until they hand you the money you're owed and start sorting out the issues you addressed and they ignored.

Back