Home FBD renewal - cheaper quote online

Mrs Vimes

Hi all,

I recently got my home insurance renewal from FBD. The bottom line was €460.68 for buildings €240k and contents €48k, which I thought was not too bad.

I went online to get another couple of quotes, starting with FBD, who quoted me €325 for the same cover, even though I had entered that my current insurance is with them already.

I'll try another couple of sites now, but I don't imagine I'll get much cheaper than €325 (including accidental damage and with an excess of €250).

I'm thinking of emailing FBD to ask whether it is policy to gouge existing customers.

Any thoughts?

It would a be a fairly standard procedure for insurers to apply some form of new business discount. they also would allow a discount for transacting the new business online being that it is automated and requires less work. Hence the probably difference in pricing. So it wouldnt be considered price gouging.

Sadly not unusual to see this. Always shop around. People who don't generally pay more.

Wasting your time emailing FBD. If you wanna stay with them then just go for the online quote. Personally I wouldn't be bothered with accidental damage cover. Try AIG before you decide you won't beat €325.

Thanks for the replies. I just tried AIG on your suggestion Michael and they are coming in at €470 without accidental damage. Nononsense were higher as well odyssey.

I've got a couple of weeks yet before my renewal date but it looks like FBD online.

That's €135 so for a few minutes work on the computer!

Just checked AA there and they are quoting €283 but they need to clarify some details - I'll ring them tomorrow and find out what the catch is!

My own insurance with Allianz was €570. Got an online quote with FBD for €408 for same insurance. Rang my existing broker who reduced my premium to €460. Amazing how they could drop €110 just by me making a phone call. Anyhow went with FBD. They are offering 2 months free plus 10% off for online. However next year is another story, but for the moment I am happy to move to FBD until something better is available.

Hi mathepac, AIB won't quote me, they aren't saying why either but parts of the town I live in have been known to flood so that may be it (I live up a hill, but it seems to depend on what database they are using.)

I'll wait until a few days before renewal and then decide - I have until the end of the month and the FBD online quote is guaranteed for 30 days.

Thanks for the input all!

FBD renewal just in also, €390 for Buildings of €220k and €20K contents, No claims and am with them 3 years, This has gone up by €100 since last year. Quote devil in at €240 for the same cover under written by Zurich.

Spoke to AA - they won't quote me because RSA is paranoid about water and subsidence (no history whatsoever in this estate or the 2 nearby) so FBD online it is.

Update

FBD rang me to see if I was happy with the quote they had sent and whether they could go ahead and renew and I told them they had given me a lower quote online.

He said that would be a new policy so I said "and?".

He said they would have to send me out a proposal and I would have to send it back and I said "that's ok".

He said they would match the online quote and I said "my visa number is...."

Well done. I forgot to mention that if you'd managed to get a quote from AIB you can pay by direct debit (12 payments) with zero credit charges. I find it helps the auld cash-flow. Glad you got a satisfactory outcome.

That time of year again!

Got the renewal from FBD for €508, went online to do the annual shopping around. Decided to increase cover by a couple of percent as the calculator said we were a little low. FBD's online quote was €402 for more cover!

Best quote we got this year was from AA but I had to contact them. They rang me on mobile while I was on hold for them and after checking with their underwriters said they couldn't quote.

It was around then the deja vu kicked in.

Long story short, FBD said to buy online if I want and just tick "other insurer".

Anyone know how to set up reminders to bump a thread for next year?

I just cant figure out home insurance for its variations in price. I have been with FBD a good few years now, renewal time here again also, I expected a modest increase with all the publication of increased insurance hitting the papers every day. It has been a such a godsend to the insurance companies to have this hysteria so published, that they would be fools not to capitalize on it.

My cost last year was €320 on buildings rebuilt @ 250k and contents @40k with usual extras. Very little increase surprisingly this year at €350. I go on line to Aviva, and increase
rebuild to €300k and Contents €60k and usual extras, , and it will only cost me €275.!!
They offered to look at it again, but thats not fair to Aviva. They tried to dig deep in my pockets as a Loyal non claiming customer. I wouldn't be interested.
Even if you do not think your being hit upon with your Insurance Co, my advice is to still shop around.

Back