Favourite Restaurant in Ireland- what’s yours

The Michelin-starred restaurant at the Cliff House hotel in Ardmore. The tasting menu (with wine) is extraordinary.

Bar food in there is gorgeous, as is the breakfast, had dinner there once and they had a cold cauliflower mousse on, possibly the most horrible thing I've ever eaten. really goes to show that just because you can do something with food doesn't mean you should

Maybe not in the same league as some of the other places mentioned, but I really like the combination of King Sitric and its casual bistro East Cafe Bar in Howth.
Lovely views. Great seafood.

Guillbaud's, someone else picking up the tab!
Only went there once but my abiding memory of it was that the staff were more impressed with themselves than we were!

One not far from us is Campagne (also now a Michelin starred restaurant). Purple you mention art and cooking in harmony for the Cliff house hotel, well that is exactly what I think of Campagne as well. Every time we go there I spend a few minutes just looking at and smelling the plate of food in front of me before tucking in!

Chapter One for a special occasion. Top food and service with none of the stuffiness of Guillbauds.

Aninar in Galway. Campagne in Kilkenny.

I recently tried Delahunt on Camden Street in Dublin and was very impressed. Actually that whole stretch of road from Georges street up to the Canal has got some very interesting restaurants and bars now.

Chapter One for a special occasion. Top food and service with none of the stuffiness of Guillbauds.

Aninar in Galway. Campagne in Kilkenny.

I recently tried Delahunt on Camden Street in Dublin and was very impressed. Actually that whole stretch of road from Georges street up to the Canal has got some very interesting restaurants and bars now.
I was only in Chapter One once, about 20 years ago, but I was very underwhelmed. It put me off the place completely. It wasn't a patch on Guilbaud's.
I love the restaurants on George's Street. Brasserie 66 being a particular favourite.

I was only in Chapter One once, about 20 years ago, but I was very underwhelmed. It put me off the place completely. It wasn't a patch on Guilbaud's.
I love the restaurants on George's Street. Brasserie 66 being a particular favourite.

Funny how a bad experience can turn you off a place alright. I have only been to Guilbauds twice when corporate expense accounts were all the rage. It is an amazing experience but it's just not my type of place. The service was too pompous and formal (Not a criticism. Has to be done that way for a two star) but just wasn't my cup of tea for a relaxing meal.

However, it is very easy to pick the one and two star restaurants. How about normal restaurants, pubs or cafes that serve great food??? Especially in provincial towns. Always interested in hearing about those places. Went to Chez Hans (I think that is what it is called) in Cashel recently and it was great.

The Long Dock in Carrigaholt, never had a bad meal there. Unpretentious, great food.

The Curragower, Cornstore & Freddies in Limerick v good. Nevilles at the Cross is good, better than the nearby Mustard Seed which tends to be all art & no food (quantity).

Back