Faulty gates installed

CuriousGeorge11

I had a home renovation/extension completed in July of last year (all went well thankfully) but I had some privacy concerns and the building company stated that my house would not be finished until I had gates fitted. They also stated that they had the right guy to do this (the builders brought the wolf to my door)

The gates I had fitted were made of composite wood encased with steel. They are approximately 2m x 5m in length combined.
The gates were attached to regular brick pillars.
The gates when fitted looked really well and I was extremely happy with them. Cost of gates were €2.5k

Unfortunately within 2 weeks the pillars starting coming off my walls. The gates had to be taken down and the pillars were demolished.
The gate maker has taken zero responsibility for this and stated his job was to make the gates

The building company said that when someone is recommended by them a certain standard is expected and they would rectify it but 9 months later I am still waiting.

I am unsure what I should do as I feel I have been given the run around by everyone involved. The site is actually a danger at present.

Can anyone offer some advice as to whether i should look at legal proceedings (cost of gates are in excess of small claims rules and I am looking at a further €1k to €2k to re-hang the gates attached to steel with the pillars built around them

I would have presumed your contract is with the builder and not the gate maker? Presume he was subcontracted by the builder. Buck then stops with them.
Or did they recommend the gate person and you paid him directly?

The gates as installed are not fit for purpose and need to be refitted with stronger supports each side, let the gate guy know you would like it rectified asap and ask when suits them to complete the task.

Let the builder know you have asked for this to be done.

Send a solicitors letter to the gate guy only If there is a lack of performance and go from there.

The gate person knows the gates are not fit for purpose and has accepted zero responsibility.

He has promised to show on a number of occasions but each time has been a no show.

The pillars / piers the gates were hung from are not fit for purpose and installing steel in them will have the same result. From what you described the piers relied on the walls they were attached to for stability which is completely contrary to any build or design methods I've encountered.

The piers / pillars need substantial foundations of their own *and* need a means of transferring the mass of the gates into those foundations via a reinforced triangular steel frame with hinge / hinges mounted to it. Another means of doing this is to have an upper hinge on the pillar and a "spud" in the ground to receive a pivot from the gate.

The pillars / piers the gates were hung from are not fit for purpose and installing steel in them will have the same result. From what you described the piers relied on the walls they were attached to for stability which is completely contrary to any build or design methods I've encountered.

The piers / pillars need substantial foundations of their own *and* need a means of transferring the mass of the gates into those foundations via a reinforced triangular steel frame with hinge / hinges mounted to it. Another means of doing this is to have an upper hinge on the pillar and a "spud" in the ground to receive a pivot from the gate.

Absolutely correct. The steel pillars need to go into a concrete foundation.

The gates made which are very heavy were never suitable for my pillars/wall. The gate person made the gates knowing this (he also makes for escapes so he must know the consequences of weight)

Back