Fault in phone after 8 months - Argos sending me to manafacturer

elcato

I bought a phone of argos last November and having rang them they put me through to the manufacturer who duly asked me to post them the phone. Should I be dealing with them or Argos ? I'm going to have to package up the phone and pay the cost of postage and proof etc.

I returned a phone to Argos after two months and got a full refund, in your case it is 8 months later, I don't think it unreasonable to return the phone to the manufacturer who underwrite the one year limited warranty, you should ask that your carriage costs are covered, That said I know if you dig in your heels with Argos they are very likely to deal with you, as I understand it a batch of iPhones they sold were found to be faulty, out of curiosity was it a refurbished iPhone ?

Argos are legally obliged to deal with you under the Sale of goods and services act [broken link removed] contract is with them not the manufacturer.

It's not an iPhone but the fault appears to be a common one. Not in the humour for going through hoops with Argos given that it really depends on who you talk to and I don't have the actual receipt just the online order number. Just curious as to whether they should be dealing with it directly or not. Whatever chance of had of using Argos again is now history anyway.

You don't need a receipt, just proof of purchase. So an order number or record of the transaction on debit or credit card is enough.

FYI: I had problems with a samsung tablet and was getting the run around from the retailer, I was only interested in repair (got it at a good price) and all they could offer was a refund. Ending up in samsung's service outlet in dundrum, and they fixed it within 48 hours.

I bought a phone of argos last November and having rang them they put me through to the manufacturer who duly asked me to post them the phone. Should I be dealing with them or Argos ? I'm going to have to package up the phone and pay the cost of postage and proof etc.

Your contract is with Argos, not the manufacturer, so you should be dealing with Argos.
Your online order NO. will suffice as proof of purchase.
Personally I have always found them quite good to deal with, you just need to state your case and stand your ground.

I returned my phone after 6 months. They took about 3 weeks to "examine it" then gave me a new replacement.

The replacement had a different problem. I returned that after 3 months and this time it took 5 weeks to get a response, this time I asked for a refund and got it.

I don't think they are saying they are not taking responsibility, but by going direct to the manufacturer you get far quicker satisfaction.

Other route is for argos to take it, send it to their depot, their depot to send it to manufacturer and then routed back the same way.

Give me the direct route anyday

So I weighed up the options

1) Send it off and wait 8 days minimum for possible free fix
2) Go to Argos and request they send it
3) Go to a local repair man and pay 25 euro to get it fixed in 1 hour

I chose 3.

It was moto g (motorola) phone which the charging port just stopped connecting so was not able to recharge. It's a known issue so avoid the phone like the plague (Google tells you this). I guess I should mention that if you want to buy a phone maybe use a phone shop as well as argos imho have a bad record in stocking sub standard electrical and electronic stuff. I bought an item off them before and when I tried to return it I was basically told to sod off. I always liked using Argos rather then internet shopping because I felt you could get a return much easier but I now know that was a mistake. At the end of the day Argos provide the same as internet shopping without the full remoteness but unlike going into a normal retail stores you cannot actually see and feel the product till you bring it home and unbox it.

I don't think they are saying they are not taking responsibility, but by going direct to the manufacturer you get far quicker satisfaction.

The main issue with going direct is you compromise, if not completely lose all legal protections under the Sale & Supply of Goods act. For example, if the manufacturer repair or replace the item, and the same fault reoccurs, you have no entitlement to a refund. There isn't even any onus on the manufacturer to remedy the fault that occurs in the replacement item.

I take your point leo but I have no intention of getting the same phone again. I put it down to experience and move on rather than waste time and stress in getting a refund/replacement.

Ah yeah, fully understand. Sometimes the battle just isn't worth fighting.

Back