Father dead almost 10 years - should I have seen Will by now?

I have been studying pretty much for the majority of the time since my father's death and the response has always been the same from my Solicitor.

In which case you may well have received a large portion of any inheritance through subsidy by your mother.

OP is not expecting people to run around in circles for him. OP just wants an answer.
It is the same thing. You are asking the solicitor to do unpaid legal work (taking up old files, copying documents and perhaos giving an explanation) for you. Nobody owes you an answer. You have been told how to get information yourself. How did you get on with that?

OP's father was not Irish and thus had assets both here and abroad - does this complicate things?
Yes it does. There may be foreign wills, foreign grants of probate, and foreign executors. The Irish grant might not take accoutn of foreign assets.

(P.S. I would appreciate if ''Frequent Posters'' were a bit more considerate.)

It would be great if you gave a bit of feedback on how you got on with all the contributions you got here.

hi
as an initial search you could try the National Archives link:

nationalarchives.ie

then look for online databases then probate offices

to see if probate has been taken out. You will not see the will. Also no address will be given . But you should be able to narrow it down using your fathers name to see if probate was taken out in that name.

from National archives site:
"The Testamentary Index from 1983 contains details of all testamentary records held by the National Archives from the year 1983 onwards."

hi
as an initial search you could try the National Archives link:

nationalarchives.ie

then look for online databases then probate offices

to see if probate has been taken out. You will not see the will. Also no address will be given . But you should be able to narrow it down using your fathers name to see if probate was taken out in that name.

from National archives site:
"The Testamentary Index from 1983 contains details of all testamentary records held by the National Archives from the year 1983 onwards."

Thanks Zepplin.

His name does not show up.

Petrol, as already mentioned, you really do need to employ the services of a good solicitor to check, verify and confirm matters. This your late father in discussion, for which he deserves respect and dignity afforded to him.

From what you have stated already, this debacle appears a little bit smelly.

Petrolhead84, you never got back to let is know how you got on with your probate inquiries?

Back