Key Post Fascias & Gutters.

Re: Key Post: Fascias & Gutters.

Related question:

Maybe subjective, but which are "better" - aluminium gutters or PVC? We have the latter but they look a bit flimsy to me when I compare them to the more solid appearance of most of the neighbouring (aluminium-guttered houses).

(I guess there's pros and cons to each...?)

I don't like PVC but it's good for fascia and soffit, while aluminium is better for gutters- reason being that aluminium gutters can be rolled in long, seamless lengths. PVC gutters will have a number of joints and expand a lot when warm, this can be a problem on long runs leading to leaks (not a common problem but it does happen). PVC downpipes are preferable to light aluminium ones though, as PVC is strong, resists crushing and doesn't chip or mark as easily as the aluminium.

here is an answer, for 220 feet in white say 2200 this is a guide only colour adds more be it brown black etc, upvc on its own is cheapest but the norm is 5 inch aluminium gutters rest is upvc.

i got a few quotes and they all varied, number of downpipes affects cost as well. and a lot of deals are cash.

My requirements are for 280 feet on a 2000 sq ft bungalow. best was 2000!!! but not convinced so will go for mid range.

noah

Hi Tom

How did you get on with this. My gutter need to be cleaned and I think the fascias need to be replaced. I'm looking for prices and recommendations?

Tom. had 3 quotes. all very bland, none of them said wood needs replacing, one had not thought out how many downpipes needed!! very cheap to very dear eg 2000 to 3900, one more to call and quote, not impressed at all. wish i was a bit younger.

will let u know the final outcome

noah

Hi Tom

How did you get on with this. My gutter need to be cleaned and I think the fascias need to be replaced. I'm looking for prices and recommendations?

I'm sorry to say I have not got any further! Haven't had a chance to draw breath in recent weeks!

Still, it's a job that needs to be done sooner rather than later. Everyone's help is much appreciated. :)

I want to replace the wooden fascia-board (technically the barge-board?) on a half-gable on the front of my roof, and to replace it with PVC. A cowboy roofer told me that if I took away the fascia-board that the pointing between it and the tiles would fall away. The pointing has black slates between it and the fascia-board.

I'm wondering (1) if whether what the cowboy said is true and (2) if the pointing falls away, whether it would be easy to repoint, and what is this type of pointing made of and can I buy it?

Replies much appreciated.

Another question: I live in a new terraced house and have just realised that the downpipe at the front of the house have no gutter to flow into.

When it rains the plants at the front are flooded.

Is there a requirement for a downpipe to have a gutter, do I have a comeback on this?

Rather than talk about the cost of installation I would be interested in finding out about quality of PVC used.How many manufactures make the stuff I know allot of people who have had colored gutters installed and the color has bleached after one or two years (looks awful). I had old black guttering and it was 25 years old and still not brittle or excessively faded I think it was marley and had some kind of interlocking system with rubbers to prevent leaks. The new gutters silicon sealer is used to join the lenghts

I have been trying to find out about aluminum but I have heard that in heavy rain they can be quiet noisy

Just wondering which would be better for fascia, guttering & downpipes etc? I know this question was asked before, but I don't think there was a definitive answer! Have had a two quotes for black aluminium - €2,600 and €3,000 and a quote of €3,000 for black pvc. House is new build, 3200 square foot. Just don't know which to go for!

get the aluminium and it will be seamless, also get the big size, i think its 4 ins gutters, no leaks.

noah

Noah - any suggestions for suppliers? We've just had 2 company's come out to the house to quote for aluminium. One offered a quote but refused to put it in writing. The second measured incorrectly and have come back looking for more. Not going with anybody until we get a professional service.

I am in Clare so a bit away fom you. All I did was ask around, I got about 5 quotes, then when I decided on one I asked a few people and got the OK. A good idea is to watch out for houses being built and go and ask people on there for names. Mine was 2000 sq foot bungalow, cost 2,800 cash. Guy was good but I consider I was lucky as well.

Keep on looking and asking for recommends. White is the cheapest.

noah

Hello,

To resurrect an old thread - I am getting gutters and facia replaced. He is going to box the existing facia in PVC. Should I box in the wires that are in the facia that's there at the moment - e.g. 2 x upc cables, phone, outside power cable?

As for cost - 950 for a 1400 sq ft house with dormer.

Thanks.

Hello,

To resurrect an old thread - I am getting gutters and facia replaced. He is going to box the existing facia in PVC. Should I box in the wires that are in the facia that's there at the moment - e.g. 2 x upc cables, phone, outside power cable?

As for cost - 950 for a 1400 sq ft house with dormer.

Thanks.

I meant to say - gutters replaced but facia boxed (not replaced).

I meant to say - gutters replaced but facia boxed (not replaced).

If UPC need to gain access how will they do so? Are all rotten timbers being removed and replaced which will be necessary.

UPC will just lash new cables on to the outside, leaving the old cables as is. They will leave the old cables in most cases anyway, as cannot be bothered to remove them.

Back