Key Post Fascias & Gutters.

We got a flyer from a company advertsing a 25% discount on new gutters / facias.

They came around, measured up, showed us samples... very professional. Then came the quote and they quoted us €30K!!

When the salesperson told us this, I asked her was she going to use gold gutters??!! She took offence to this and we haven't received a written quote yet!!

Re: Quote

the white pvc stuff shouldn't be too expensive to fit,i'm sure there's plenty of cowboys at it though

Fascia & Gutters

Am actually in the process of getting quotes from various suppliers on getting our fascia and gutters replaced with uPVC ones.

Will update when I have info on prices. For our house is a standard 3 bed semi D in Dublin

Fascia & Gutters costs

Folks

Got my first quote for the above yesterday evening.
Standard white fittings all around = €1,400
Black Fascia = €1,500

Only colours available from the supplier I talked with last night were, white, brown and black. Unfortuneately I am looking for green. Ah well !

Door to door

We live in a similar three bedroomed semi. There were a few door-to-door callers recently who were "in the area" and offered to replace all fascias, soffits and gutters for €700. It was very much a case of "here today, gone tomorrow" with only a mobile contact number for comfort.

Some of the jobs they did were less than satisfactory but some were OK. It would probably be OK if you were there to oversee the job being undertaken.

By comparison, €1500 seems a lot more to pay, even if it does give the comfort of some form of comeback.

gutters

I can't give you the name of anyone good but I want to warn you not to get cowboys to do this job and believe me...there are so many cowboys who "do" gutter replacement.

Neighbours of ours got a job done and it was dreadful. The guys who did it cut off the overflow drainage pipe and covered over it with fascia!!!! Also, they covered over rotten wood! The job was a total botch and my neighbour ended up having to get another reputable operator to fix it.

The best way to get it done is to go on a personal recommendation. Ask around at work, or even take a walk in your neighbourhood and look out for a good job of new gutters on a house, call in and ask the owner for the name of the outfit who did the job.

Whatever you do, unless you want to waste your money, my advice is; DON'T employ anyone who knocks on your door who happens to be working "in the area"!!!

Re:Fascias & Gutters

Approx 6 months ago three lads knocked on our door and said they were doing Gutters/Fascias. They looked professional enough. However they did an apalling job,put on second hand material and somehow managed to dissappear without removing the old gutters. Charged more than they quoted etc.
This problem of cowboys doing facias/gutters is becoming as old as the hills.
I would STRONGLY reccommend you do NOT deal with anyone who calls to your door offering to do something quickly and cheaply. It still makes my blood boil when I think what they got away with.

Cowboys

have to agree with the two previous posters. The people I have quoting for my job are companies that I have got from the Golden pages. Each person I am getting to quote I am
(a) Making sure they provide me with contact details such as an address and not just a mobile phone number
(b) Are registered for VAT
(c) Are willing to give references
(d) Use reputable suppliers.
(e) Where possible are members or professional guilds etc.

From some research I have done, proper fascia and guttering should not be put straight onto the existing wood. This is to allow the wood to "sweat" and contract and expand according to the humidity. Proper fascia should have ridges on the inside to keep that gap there.

Still to receive quotes from other companies so the €1500 is the best price I have gotten so far. However I would rather spend the extra money than risk using cowboys.

BTW, I use the above criteria when getting anyone to do work for me around the house or on the car.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your replies we will shop around. Moving on to another area in the house does anyone know where to get re-claimed oak flooring and also someone who would fit it.

Thanks
Summer

Fascias & Gutters

Hi,
I got mine done a while ago, cost me €850 (white uPVC) and he took away the old drain pipes & gutters..

He started at 8am and got it all done in one day. (I live in a very small semi-d bungalow).

The guys name was Paddy Kavanagh and his number is: 087-2255363

Re: Fascias & Gutters

02dublinwrx
Pvc fascia board

Hi,

My wooden fascia board at the front of the house has rotten away. I can't seem to find any legitimate companies that do this work? loads of flyers thru the door but from fly by nites!

any help much appreciated!

macnas
Unregistered User

Some of the gutter replacement people do this work also.

capaill
Frequent poster

Last year I used AAA Guttering in Lucan to do the fascia on my house. 3 bed semi D. Cost approx €1,500. Job took one day to complete. One thing to note the colour available in the PVC Fascia is limited. From talking to suppliers all that was available was white, brown or black, with white being the cheapest.

C

sueellen

We had both soffit and fascia replaced a few years ago but unfortunately the company who did ours could not get the experienced staff and have stopped doing this particular type of work.

I understand that one very important point about getting these jobs done is to make sure that they remove the old rotten wood and replace it. I think I have seen as you say 'fly by nites' not doing this when they did a tour of our estate some time ago. They just slap on the PVC facing over the rotten wood which in years to come causes more problems.

Re: Fascias & Gutters

I got mine done two weeks ago for the princely sum of E400 yep thats E400 front and back in white UPVC was originally quoted E250 for the front because there was a downpipe and E190 for the back as there was no downpipe at the back of the house, I asked my neighbours if they wanted theirs done and they agreed which gave me a discount from the fitter of E40 because I got him extra work.
Fitter turned up at 9:00am on the dot and was finished same day, very happy with the work and would recommend him to anyone.
Kieran Murphy is his name and he is based in Limerick ;)

fascias only

Is this a job for DIY? is it a difficult proposition?? To rip out old wood and put in new. prime undercoat and paint. painting could be done on ground before being fixed into place?? Any suggestions?

Yes but need ladders and peole

Painted wood is more authentic for older houses, but replacing metal with plastic gutters is good for ease of fit and preventing leaks.

Yes you can easily replace gutters, facia and soffit yourself. You will need two people and two ladders, one of which must be reasonalby good with measuring and cutting timber accurately.

However if your facia and soffit needs replacing, then its possible the felt overhanging into the eave chute has also perished => a longer job involving lifting a few tiles and putting back in a strip. This will defo need to be done if you are putting up wood f&s. If uPVC then perhaps not.

Mind you working at 20 feet over the ground with an almost straight ladder on a wet windy day and the ESB wire close by made me think differently at some times when I did mine.

So check out the access around the house and verify there are no difficult cables or awkward allyways or perspex rooves which make it difficult to use the ladder.

Its tough physicall as well as you are against gravity, holding up wighty facia and soffit and trying to get nails on to the ends of rafters also.

re

Is it normal practice in building for the last row of tiles to rest on the top of the fascia? So when the fascia is removed the tiles will need a piece of timber inserted where the old fascia was to keep them at the same angle?

Re: Key Post: Fascias & Gutters.

Hello -

Has anyone got recent experience of the cost of getting PVC fascia and soffit fitted?

The house is a four-bed bungalow (about 1400 sq ft?).

Any insight would be very welcome.

- Tom

Hi Tom, welcome to AAM. There is some info in this previous thread.
Leo

Thanks, Leo. Very kind, and that's interesting.

Has any one else got an example of the costs?

:)

Back