FAS: spending to keep next year's budget.

viztopia

I have just spoken to a supplier of ours (stationary) she deals with a FAS office and she has just received a call from them looking to make an order for €1,600 and back date it to December.

The person in FAS doesn't actually want any product - she will use the order as credit as such against something that she actually wants. She explained that she wants to get an invoice in for last December to fill her budget as if she doesn't spend this €1,600 this year then she wont get it in funding next year.

Just <expletive deleted> amazing isn't it!

I knew that this always went on but i would have thought that with all the controversy in FAS they would have more cop on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: FAS policy

The trouble with them, they see no wrong in what they are doing, they never did, and never will understand the real world.

Re: FAS policy

the real world.
not really sure about the real world point.
I've seen this "spending to keep next years budget" in every big company that i have worked for (public and private). I think with large organisations that people are more worried about their own fiefdom because they dont have any connection to the bigger picture.
anon473

I have just spoken to a supplier of ours (stationary) she deals with a FAS office and she has just received a call from them looking to make an order for €1,600 and back date it to December.

The person in FAS doesn't actually want any product - she will use the order as credit as such against something that she actually wants. She explained that she wants to get an invoice in for last December to fill her budget as if she doesn't spend this €1,600 this year then she wont get it in funding next year.

Just <expletive deleted> amazing isn't it!

I knew that this always went on but i would have thought that with all the controversy in FAS they would have more cop on.

This practice was common in the public service some years ago but is largely discontinued. I'm shocked to think it might still be going on anywhere but particularly in FAS where the spotlight is shining brightly and persistently.

You supplier contact should report the matter to either the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment or the Office of the Comptroller and Auditor General. The more detail that can be provided the better. They would certainly act on any specific information provided (as opposed to hearsay).

SHOCK HORROR !!!

County Councils do this every year by going out during december to fill potholes/resurface sections of road during the worst possible time weather wise.

The potholes are opened again in days as the repair hasn't set by the time the next big rainfall/freeze arrives.

Regarding the item mentioned by the OP, the fact that this is ALLOWED to go on is more of a problem than the fact that admin staff are at it, IMO. Their bosses should be weeding this kinda rubbish behaviour out. Their colleagues/peers should also....we as a race get away with that which we can....shure begorrah, t'isn't my money anyway!

Crazy stuff - What did you advise her to do?

Back