fancy switches and sockets

selfbuild99

Anybody know of stores in ireland (that might have a website), that would supply nice switches and sockets at a reasonable price, like the look of the satin chrome. I am aware of the uk websites, but would probably prefer to buy in store. Tks

I got brushed chrome sockets and switches at a good price from [broken link removed] - they're mainly around Dublin with a branch in Wexford so don't know if they're any way near to you. Website isn't great from what I can see.

If you fit metal switches instead of plastic make sure you have an earth wire. Most houses dont have them for light switches.

Yes,

The safety trip switch (RCD) in the electrical box only works with sockets. It is not connected to the light circuit. If a live wire touches the metal switch the only protection is for the current circuit breaker or fuse to trip on a current overload. For this to happen the switchplate must be earthed to give a return path for the current. Otherwise it is likely that the live wire will just make the plate live until it gets an earth path. That earth path will be you.

However it is a very common practice to replace plastic plates with steel and no earth.

Do you feel lucky today?

I just had my house rewired and i got one fancy light switch - and yes it is earthed :). Most light fitting shops sell fancy switches, like the one on the corner of Longmile Road/Naas Road, then there is one in Terenure, there is an electrical supplies shop in Inchicore that sells them and like mentioned previously B&Q have a good selection - I originally bought a stainless steel dimmer switch there buth then had to go to the electrial supplier as needed higher wattage, but B&Q had satin/brushed chrome.

Back