Laya Family Renewal Options

suzie

That time of the year again

All renewals on 1/4/18:
  1. Adult renewal on Simplicity @ €1051 under a group scheme. Is this still best policy in its class again this year?
  2. Adult renewal on Flex 250 Explore @€907 under a group scheme
Thanks in advance
S.

suzie,

1. Simplicity; Yes, this plan is still best option and at the group rate 1051, its a no brainer.

2. Flex 250 Explore; Note; just to bring to your attention, there have been changes to this plan since last year. There is restricted cover
for Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic, ie just cardiac and orthopaedic surgery is fully covered. There is no cover for any other surgery in these
two hospitals. If this change is not an issue, the group rate of 907 is very good value.
However, if an alternative is required, the following is a very good option;

Laya Control 300 Create; full price 1042pa; all public, private(incl private room) + 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, excess 300 per private/hi-tech
admission, day case excess 125 per procedure. Good day to day cover included with a 1 euro excess.
[broken link removed]

Also, since VHI reduced a bunch of plans from 1st March 2018, there may be a competitive reaction from Laya in the next few weeks.
Just something to watch out for with April in mind.

Snowyb

With these policies under the group scheme I am considering downgrading the Adult on Flex 250 Explore to a "barebones" policy from Laya, it doesnt need any day to day really as person has a Medical Card. Any recommendations for a good quality "barebones" policy from Laya? (bit of a contradiction but hope you understand what I mean).

Also I am right in thinking Laya allow one to alter/upgrade a policy at anytime unlike VHI for example.

Thanks
S.

PS: HIA provide the answer WRT to provider cancellation terms

Last edited:
suzie,

1. The cheapest Laya plan with full cover for all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals is as follows;

Control 600 Connect; price 852pa; all public, private(incl private room) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, excess 600 per private/hi-tech admission for a stay or surgery, day case excess 175 per procedure.
The above price is the standard market price, but you can factor in the group rate according to the discount applicable.
[broken link removed]

2. If you just want a policy with public and private hospital cover, the following plans are worth considering;

Essential Health 300; price 895pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, excess 300 per admission and day case excess 125 per procedure.
or
Precision 600 Connect; price 695pa; all public, selected list of private hospitals covered. You would need to check out the selected list of
private hospitals covered to ensure they suit your location.
[broken link removed]

Again, the prices shown above are the standard market prices, you can calculate the applicable discount for the group rate.

I would not recommend plans with just public hospital cover as the hospital waiting list for surgery is the same for everyone, with or without
health insurance, which defeats the whole purpose of having health insurance cover.
Also, it makes sense to have an alternative option of a choice of private hospitals if required.

Regards, Snowyb

Typically I'd agree with what you say, but I'd like to avail of the group scheme flexibility with an aim to controlling costs initially until at such time the policy needs to be availed of....

Thanks
S.

I forgot to mention that while Laya do allow a person to change/upgrade plans during the year, if you change to a plan with better hospital cover,
there is a 2 year upgrade waiting time applied to any extra hospital cover only in respect of pre-existing conditions/illnesses.

Switching to a plan with a higher excess, for example 500 or 600, and then reverting back to a lower excess plan, strictly speaking a 2 year wait
should be applied to the lower excess in relation to any pre-existing condition. This is a grey area, which may or may not be strictly applied in an
actual hospital setting, as the excess amount is paid directly to the private hospital on admission for surgery or treatment.
Just something to keep in mind when switchini
There is no upgrade waiting time to serve for better day to day cover with Laya, regardless of age.

Snowyb

FYI: For the benefit of others who may be searching for options, I took the following options:
  1. Adult on Simplicity was moved to Precision 600 Create due to the easy access to day2day benefits
  2. Adult on Flex 250 Explore was moved to Assure Protect
S.

Back