Family Law & Health Expenses

Applecart

I am legally seperated 5 years at this stage and am thinking of proceeding to a divorce. I pay substantial maintenance for my children. My ex is trying to get me to agree to pay half of all future medical & dental expenses and wants this added to the existing seperation terms as part of the divorce, and feels this should have been in the original seperation agreement. My question is - is it "normal" or at least commonplace in seperation or divorces to have explicit provisions for sharing of childrens medical and dental expenses ? Thank you in advance

"My question is - is it "normal" or at least commonplace in seperation or divorces to have explicit provisions for sharing of childrens medical and dental expenses ?"

Maintenance is always reviewable so, yes, is one answer.

But if you are already paying "substantial maintenance" you could argue that that maintenance covers the above.

It really does depend on the circumstances - and your solicitor can advise based on your respective assets, liabilities, incomes and outgoings.

mf

Thanks mf1 for your help. My question is "is it commonplace to have an explicit provision around health expenses in seperation or divorce agreements"? Do say 25/50/75% of agreements have this provision?

I don't believe there is any official collated information available; so at best anything you hear will be anecdotal.

You need to ask the question why?

Do any of yr children have medical or other special needs?

Are they now approaching teen years where so many young people have expensive dental work?

Do you believe the current agreed maintenance is sufficient to cover these costs?

Just have a supplementary question on this issue. If I am applying for a divorce, does the court iteslf automatically require one year vouching or will the court simply accept an affidavitt of means on its own ?. I know the other side may want one year vouching but my question is does the court itself automatically look for it.

Back