false advertisement with TSB switcher ad.

M

mach1

Hi there,
I was hoping could someone help me. Myself and my fiance moved banks to TSB after hearing about no fees and easy switchover "Our dedicated switcher team will take care of everything. Just drop in to any branch and leave the rest to us"

We did that and set our switchover date for the 9/12/05. I am not going to bore you with details, but it was a total disaster. 6 direct debits didn't change over, our two ssia schemes weren't paid and they lost four of oiur pay cheques from our Employers. and have just put the last one into out account this week.

This has gone on two months with runs to banks everday, calling the switcher team along with all the companies who did not receive on DD payments and our Employers to try and find our pay that is meant to go directly in to our accounts each month.

For something that is meant to be hastle free, we experienced a night mare.

I really want to write a letter of complaint but I don't know who I should send it to. Should it be the local branch manager (we have already dealt with him) or should it be customer servises or who would be the best person to complain to in the company regarding this scandal? Please help!

Also, we are not quite sure what we should demand or ask for in this letter. Should we request specific demands or should we leave it open ended and allow them to respond with some compensation for our stress and expense?

I'd like to thank anyone for taking the time to read this. It means a lot.

is the relevant IBF code of practice. It doesn't seem to outline the compaints procedure. I guess you should write a letter of complaint to both banks involved (the source and destination) and if you don't get satisfactory responses from either or both then complain to IFSRA. I would write to the customer services departments of the banks in the first instance.

I changed to TSB 6 weeks ago but did not allow the switch team to get involved. I kept my old bank account open for awhile so that I could go back if there was problems.
So far I have found the TSB OK, My wages were taking 6 day with an electronic transfer to the Ulster bank, it now takes no more than 2 days with the TSB.
The TSB did however charge me for an overdraft fee because they deducted for the cheque book before I deposited any money, this was only €0.01 so I am not complaining, but it was a bank charge.

This is all very instructive, thanks! I've been nagging (well, urging!) my sister lately to switch her ludicrously expensive AIB current a/c to one of their competitors' 'free' banking options, and told her that there 'probably wasn't much to choose' between UB, NIB, TSB, etc.

Maybe I'll suggest to her that she strike TSB off the list of options... :(

Is her account really "ludicrously expensive"? In the greater scheme of things could she save more by dealing with other financial issues first (e.g. switching to a cheaper mortgage lender, car/home insurance provider, investment/pension fund provider, supermarket etc.)? The old may be pertinent in this situation as in many others...

I know, I know... and maybe 'ludicrously' is putting it a bit strongly — but I'm sure AIB's c/a fees are among the highest. Whatever they are, it's x ∞ more than a fee-free account! ;)

She also has a UB mortgage.

Can your sister get a cheaper mortgage rate if she opens a UFirst current account with Ulster Bank ? (It might be something else for her to look into)

My mortgage is with Ulster bank and I was encouraged to open a u first account when I took out my mortgage. The fees for such an account are 9 euro a month. When I calculated the difference I would save with u first discounted rate on a mortgage of 200,000, I stood to make no saving.
By the way, regarding TSB switcher, does anyone have any idea if we should ask for something specific as compensation(if so what!!!0 or should we leave it up to them to get back to us?

mach1 said:
.......does anyone have any idea if we should ask for something specific as compensation?

........ would having the problems resolved & a letter of apology suffice?

ninsaga

Not really,
We have spent over fifty euro on phonecalls, as well as a huge amount of time and stress trying to sort this out. I feel they should do a lot more for us. This has been going on for two months, non-stop everyday.
Nina

If it were me I would do all the work myself. I wouldn't even consider allowing the bank to switch a DD or SO for me. I would be thinking that they'd get it wrong and a DD/SO would go unpaid. Obviously they do get it wrong hence the thread.

Mimi

Send complaint to:
Permanent TSB
Customer Services Department
Churchyard Lane
Douglas
Cork

You'll get an aknoweledgment and after a couple of weeks
a reply. Possibly an apology.

If you're not satisfied with the reply, you then could write
to (as I have done)

Ms. Gillian Bowler (Chairman)
Irish Life & Permanent
Lr. Abbey Street
Dublin 1.

DrMoriarty said:
I know, I know... and maybe 'ludicrously' is putting it a bit strongly — but I'm sure AIB's c/a fees are among the highest. Whatever they are, it's x ∞ more than a fee-free account! ;)

I'm not so sure about that, they (AIB that is) have introduced a transaction-free banking option for most current account customers recently, no doubt to stem the flow of customers moving to other providers. A case of competition actually working :D

Details [broken link removed].

To qualify, there are a couple of conditions:

How can I qualify?

Personal Current Account customers who hold an AIB Debit Card and are registered for AIB Phone & Internet Banking can automatically qualify for free maintenance and transaction banking on that account by completing the following transactions on the account:

1. At least one purchase transaction using their AIB Debit Card each fee quarter
AND
2. At least one debit transaction using AIB Phone & Internet Banking in each fee quarter

I feel these are not onerous, and they certainly persuaded me to stay, also the AIB on-line banking is very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Write to the Customer Services Manager
Copy to Branch Manager
Copy to Chief Executives Office

Lay out clearly what you want. If you wish to be compensated for phone calls, tell them. Do not however expect to be compensated for your time.

Back