Fair Deal - Treatment of Unmarried Partner

Gordon Gekko

Hi,

The Fair Deal stuff is an area where I struggle. Hopefully someone can help.

In a situation where an elderly couple live together, and have done so for years, but aren’t married, what happens from a Fair Deal perspective if the partner with no assets falls into ill-health and needs long-term care?

So, for example, Tom and Mary live together but aren’t married. Mary needs to go into a nursing home but has no assets and State Pension income of €240 a week.

Many thanks,

Gordon

Do you own a house, does the partner own a house? Sorry, going to rephrase that. Does either partner own a property because I believe this is when the fair deal kicks in.

The information booklet says this

If you are a member of a couple, the assessment will be based on half of the couple’s combined income and assets. For example, if a couple’s income was €600 per week, the assessment of the person needing care would be based on 50% of €600, or €300. In other words, the person needing care would be considered to have a total income of €300 per week. A couple is defined as (a) a married couple who are living together or (b) a heterosexual or same sex couple who are cohabiting as life partners for at least three years.

Gordon,
Sorry about that, getting our wires crossed. I think the partner that needs help and only has the pension will get into a nursing home (eventually). 80% of the pension will be taken and it shouldn't have any bearing on the property owner. I've just seen what "huskerdu" has written above, but my answer was based on a person in the situation you describe in your original post. I have no idea what conversation took place for it to have the outcome it did.

That’s really helpful, thank you both.

It seems odd that unmarried people can be caught by this.