Fair deal scheme

mcriot29

I have a few questions on the fair deal scheme .
How long does it take to get if there is no house or cash,just the pensions so 80 percent does it still take 3 months.
They ask about income my mother gets the gas allowance paid monthly into her bank account.
Do I have to put this down as part of the income.
Paying for the scheme do I pay the amount monthly in cash to the home or how is it paid
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi.

How long does it take to get if there is no house or cash,just the pensions so 80 percent does it still take 3 months.
Yes, the assets do not really affect the time for approval.
They ask about income my mother gets the gas allowance paid monthly into her bank account.
Do I have to put this down as part of the income. Yes, it is part of her income.
Paying for the scheme do I pay the amount monthly in cash to the home or how is it paid. The assessed amount can be paid weekly or monthly from the sources of income if your mother has capacity to control her own affairs. If not, unless Enduring Power of Attorney has already been assigned, you may need to go through the procedure to become a Care Representative.

Hey thanks for that info,I collect her pension from the bank account in both names.
Could I not just keep doing that and pay them she has dementia I'm her only child.
Any income left I will need for her clothes ,hairdressing etc
Since I will be paying the home direct I can't see why I would have to go to court etc,the bank won't know any diffrent
The social worker said I won't

You can set up a standing order to the nursing home from the joint bank account. I had a joint account with my parent and set it up to be paid weekly.

Hey thanks for that info,I collect her pension from the bank account in both names.
Could I not just keep doing that and pay them she has dementia I'm her only child.
If that's already set up, you can continue with that.

Could anyone help me with some information? My mother and father are on a non-contributory pension, they do have an asset in their house which they own. From what I am reading under the Fair Deal scheme, the state would take 80% of my father's pension. This would leave my mother with an income of around €100 a week (they have direct debits for basics like health insurance, broadband, mobile phones etc) not including heating, lighting, running a car to visit my Dad etc... Is it compulsory that they take €80% of my Dad's pension or maybe can they take a bigger share of the value of the house instead, which would help my mother?

Its half the combined income.

Also that's just how they work out how much you pay and they pay. Or how much you can borrow from the fair deal scheme.

At the end of the scheme you settle up you have a bit of flexibility then.

Call and chat to them. They are very helpful if not all that clear at times.

My understanding is they issue a bill in effect at the end. Which is the settlement of the loan. How you pay it at that point it's up to the estate. I can't find that in any documentation or website. But that's what I was told.

You will have to find any shortfall between going into nursing home and the fair deal being actioned. If you are going from hospital the hospital can on occasion provide interim funding. But any gap you will pay. It can be considerable. So it's important to get the application in as soon as you can.

But the fair deal crowd are very helpful. They encourage you to apply as early as possible even incomplete so they can help you get it all done as fast as possible.

Thanks, I think I need to chat with them! I'm wondering now if we shouldn't be thinking of Mum selling the house when Dad is hopefully in a nursing home and that would give her income. I do appreciate that we would have to settle the fair deal and also maybe have to pay some of the nursing home costs. It's all very stressful at this late stage of their lives

The fair deal is limited to 3yrs on your home. So that's 3x7.5% But if you convert it to cash it's not limited and in they would take 7.5% every year the person is in nursing home. Which could be the whole value of a house for a single person.

A nursing home costs about 1200-2000 a week . Plus any other expenses. Thats about 80-100k a year.

Note if the house is joint owned then it only applies to the 50% owned by the person in the nursing home.

Hi, I have another question on the fair deal. My Uncle left a house and farm which is my aunts for her life, after this it is bequeathed to my sister. How does the Fair deal treat this, as my aunt does not have full ownership of the property?

Back