Failure to remain at scene of accident

cuz

Hello, last night I crashed my car. I was away from the scene when the Gardaí arrived. I returned to the scene as the recovery truck arrived. I was told that I would be charged with the above offence. What possible penalty could I expect?
Also I wasn't breathalyzed which I thought was bizarre. I was free to leave with in the recovery truck which I also thought was strange. Could anyone explain why I wasn't breathalyzed?

Thanks

What did you crash into? Was it another vehicle, someone's property, was damage done, had you insurance, etc, etc? Leaving the scene of an accident is/can be looked on very seriously indeed by the Gardai, Judges and all.

What did you crash into? Was it another vehicle, someone's property, was damage done, had you insurance, etc, etc? Leaving the scene of an accident is/can be looked on very seriously indeed by the Gardai, Judges and all.

A crash barrier, no damage other than the vehicle .
Insurance and NCT but no tax.

Why did you leave your car after it struck a crash barrier, not every road has these so it must have been a major road, dual carriageway, motorway .... if so it must have caused quite a lot of people danger as they tried to get around it not expecting it to be there against the carrier, more info will get you closer to an answer.

Why did you leave your car after it struck a crash barrier, not every road has these so it must have been a major road, dual carriageway, motorway .... if so it must have caused quite a lot of people danger as they tried to get around it not expecting it to be there against the carrier, more info will get you closer to an answer.

It was a regional road. No danger caused to anyone

Could be a hefty bill for the barrier too.

Hopefully not

Not my finest hour

Not my finest hour

Perhaps it's time to consider buying a bike?

(Re. your query - seems strange that you are being done for failure to stay at the scence of an accident when you are the only party involved... unless the crash barrier made a complaint against you! Of course it might have nothing to do with your motoring history that they came down so hard on you. ;)

Last edited:
What exactly were you supposed to do or who should you have notified?
If you phoned the Gardai they would have said, was someone injured? And then you'd say no and they'd hang up.

Perhaps if the crash was at a corner, you should have left warning triangle etc?

Reactions: mtk
Perhaps it's time to consider buying a bike?

(R. your query - seems strange that you are being done for failure to stay at the scence of an accident when you are the only party involved... unless the crash barrier made a complaint against you! Of course it might have noting to do with your motoring history that they came down so hard on you. ;)

How could they have known about the dangerous driving? They were from a different station

What exactly were you supposed to do or who should you have notified?
If you phoned the Gardai they would have said, was someone injured? And then you'd say no and they'd hang up.

Perhaps if the crash was at a corner, you should have left warning triangle etc?

The car ended up on the opposite side of the road on a straight piece of road .

Was it you called the recovery truck, or the Gardai?

I did.

Will I be called into make a statement about this? How soon could I expect this to happen?

Were you drinking??? No offence but I have no idea why anyone would want to offer help or advice to someone who was involved in evading a garda chase last year and has now crashed into a crash barrier and having no tax. Get off the road before you kill yourself or more importantly someone else.

I've just read your other posts, how did you get on in Court on that occasion ?

Driving is not an automatic right, it is fantastic to be able to get in your car and go where ever you want whenever you want, that brings responsibility, something you seem to be avoiding, you share the road with others, you must have a road legal safe car, I don't want to come across as lecturing but come on Cuz, past time to get a grip.

This might come as a surprise, but they use computer systems just like everyone else...

Bit of a stupid question alright

Were you drinking??? No offence but I have no idea why anyone would want to offer help or advice to someone who was involved in evading a garda chase last year and has now crashed into a crash barrier and having no tax. Get off the road before you kill yourself or more importantly someone else.

No alcohol consumed.

I've just read your other posts, how did you get on in Court on that occasion ?

Driving is not an automatic right, it is fantastic to be able to get in your car and go where ever you want whenever you want, that brings responsibility, something you seem to be avoiding, you share the road with others, you must have a road legal safe car, I don't want to come across as lecturing but come on Cuz, past time to get a grip.

€500 fine and lucky to get off so lightly

Back