Facebook page dedicated to changing the VRT rule in Ireland?

Lak

I half caught an article on the radio regarding a Facebook page dedicated to changing the vrt rule in ireland, a person being interviewed made the point that annually the Irish government are fined and have to pay a sum of money to the EU for flagrantly breaking an EU law in implementing vehicle registration tax on the people of Ireland, of course the sums involved are paltry compared to the taxes collected. Does anyone know if indeed this is the case and if so i find it astounding that this has gone unchallenged in view of how zealous the VRT "Stasi" are conducting their buisness.
Does anyone know the facebook page in question ?

Despite all the reports about the Gov being fined each year for charging VRT, I have yet to see a direct link to prove this.

The problem with this is that if they get rid of VRT, they will replace it with something else. That is certain. It will probably be a 'carbon tax'.
This new tax may well be an on-going tax and not a once off tax. This means that people who already have paid out for VRT, may have to pay again and again.

(Any new tax or VRT replacement, will of course be used to fund the bust banks)

Facebook never achieved anything.
It's like somebody wound the clock back 10/15 years.

"If 1 Million people join this site then <Insert outlandish, yet strangely plausible outcome, here>"

Bill Gates will send you a PC, Apple will send you an iPhone, Miller will send you a keg. It was almost better to receive these in email form. At least then you could Reply All and mortify the person for their stupidity.

I agree it is a pointless exercise trying to achieve anything through Facebook, what did catch my attention was the fact that they openly state the VRT is an illegal action being taken by the Government so I wanted to delve a little deeper, unfortunately they offer no evidence to back up these spurious claims, indeed having followed various links regarding to the for and against opinions for VRT, the for camp do indeed offer a good argument on the merits of a VRT system, albeit a rather unfair one in its present guise...The Facebook side only seem able to offer up the argument that they dont like it.

Facebook never achieved anything.
Oh yes it did. It opened up the whole Phoebe Prince affair in New Hadleigh. By naming and shaming the abusers, the school's board and those deluded parents who abused the columnist from The Boston Globe for daring to shine the spotlight on their hideous little darlings. OK, I hear you say - it works both ways. But to answer your statement - it does achieve things.

Oh yes it did. It opened up the whole Phoebe Prince affair in New Hadleigh. By naming and shaming the abusers, the school's board and those deluded parents who abused the columnist from The Boston Globe for daring to shine the spotlight on their hideous little darlings. OK, I hear you say - it works both ways. But to answer your statement - it does achieve things.

But wasnt Facebook used to bully the unfortunate victim in the first place?

On the VRT issue, if VRT is abolished, it could be replaced with a special VAT rate on car sales - this would conform with all EU rules.

It's a source of income for a government that doesn't have very many of them. Where do those looking for it's removal propose the state makes up the shortfall?

Surely if they scrapped it, all they'd have to do is raise road/fuel taxes to be revenue neutral?
Something the rest of us who have paid the VRT on our cars would not stomach.

Something the rest of us who have paid the VRT on our cars would not stomach.

What do you mean 'the rest of us'? Surely everyone who has bought a car has paid for VRT? Even if buying second hand, the price is relative to the price when new, and so accounts for the VRT.

Back